Tropical Fish Keeping banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi
I have just noticed this growth on my piece of wood in the aquarium (see attached) i am sure it wasn't there last night, my tank is on its second week of cycling with no fish in the tank.

Thanks Graham

Attachments

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Its Mopani, and i cleaned and soaked it for a few days until it was not changing the water colour before putting in the tank

·
Registered
182 Posts
might wanna takeit out of the tank... feel it, what does it feel like? stringy? smooth?

·
Registered
22,557 Posts
It doesn't look like algae, so it is likely a fungus. Is it whitish in life (photos distort colours often)?

Some fungus are relatively harmless, some are highly toxic. Without a microscopic examination by a microbiologist it is impossible to say, unfortunately. I nearly killed a tank of fish with a toxic fungus that appeared on a piece of wood, and Mopani, Manzanita and grapewood are all contenders for this. Has the water become cloudy at all?

Byron.

·
Registered
125 Posts
I would recommend taking the wood out, scrub that stuff off with a old toothbrush or something of that nature and giving it a good rinse. Place it back in the aquarium to see if it comes back. What do you think Byron?

·
Registered
22,557 Posts
I would recommend taking the wood out, scrub that stuff off with a old toothbrush or something of that nature and giving it a good rinse. Place it back in the aquarium to see if it comes back. What do you think Byron?
Can't hurt.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Its a light brown colour, better safe than sorry, think it is worth taking it out before it gets to the plants, although they look clean.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
In the cold light of day the water does have a brown tint to it and the filter is quite brown, i take it this is from the wood.

Not sure if it is worth putting it back in or changing to some rocks.

·
Registered
22,557 Posts
In the cold light of day the water does have a brown tint to it and the filter is quite brown, i take it this is from the wood.

Not sure if it is worth putting it back in or changing to some rocks.
The brown tint is most likely tannins from the wood. Mopani I have found to have a lot of tannins. These are not harmful.

That is a nice chunk of wood, it is worth trying it. The fungus may be non-toxic, unfortunately there is no way to test this except in a tank with fish.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Quick update, gave it a good scrub and boil and has been back in the tank for a week and no new growth although i do now have 6 guppies and 3 amano shrimp in there and they are doing fine.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I had it in a bowl and poured boiling water over it, covering it. I did this for a day changing the boiling water about 6 times, so not actually boiling it. Gave it a good scrub in between each new hot water.

the water didn,t get that dirty, after a day it was pretty clear so put it back in and it seems fine.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Should i be looking at changing the carbon filters in my filtration soon? i have had the wood in from day 1 and that was 3 weeks ago, i do have tannings in the water but not to any great extent.

·
Registered
528 Posts
i did the same thing you did. i placed my wood in a bucket and poured boiling water over it and changed it ever 4 hrs or so and coving it with a lid. atfer a week i put them in my tank. for 3 weeks i have tea colored water but after every water change it got better.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Thank you for this thread, I was just about to do some research on boiling new driftwood...

:yourock:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts