Tropical Fish Keeping banner

HELP!! Platy has pea stuck...

3K views 11 replies 3 participants last post by  essjay 
#1 ·
I have no idea how she did it, but I've got one of my girls with a huge bit of pea stuck in her mouth!! Is there anything I should do? Is there anything I can do??? She's stressing a little and I'm worried she can't get enough water over her gills.... Please tell me I'm panicking for nothing.....

Organism Fish Bird Fish Plant

See less See more
#2 ·
Well, after at least 30 anxious minutes, she seems to have settled ok and looks like she's trying to chew around it.. She doesn't look like she's stressed anymore..

#4 ·
Yeh I know... Now that I'm not panicking, I am starting to see the funny side... Poor little thing.. She's close to dropping too so she looks like a little beer keg....

#6 ·
That's okay! I didn't think you were being rude :)

Noooooo... Platy's are definitely NOT hard to breed.. lol I've got 5 girls and they were all up the duff when I brought them home... I "think" they've all had one batch each (I've got 33 fry in my other 80L tank...), at least 3 are looking like they're about to pop.... :shock:

#8 ·
She seems to be ok, the bit of pea is still stuck, but she's swimming around fine.. I'm keeping a close eye on her though..

Haha, if you go into breeding Platy's prepare for an explosion of babies! But you probably already know that... lol As far as selling, I'm lucky that my LFS is going to take mine, but they have to be at least an inch in size before they will.

#10 ·
Yerp... She can close her mouth, but not without effort... I thought I'd try and catch her a little while ago to see if I could help, but trying just stressed her out.. The good thing is that it's in front of her gills, so her "breathing" isn't impeded...

I've not bought any fish or plants online.. I dunno, I just prefer to see what I'm buying I spose..

#11 ·
Essjay, is it the inside of a pea or the skin that is stuck ? I only ask because I have read that you should remove the skins before feeding. Platies also like the crust removed from the bread when you serve them sandwiches.

Rex, with Platies, you add water and stand back.

#12 ·
Haha!! Love the sandwich comment.. lol Can't have curly tails now can we? ;-)

I definitely skinned the peas, but didn't cook them enough.. :oops: Had to bite the bullet and catch her today as it was still stuck.. I "very" gently squeezed the pea out, my god, I have nooo idea how she hoovered almost 1/2 a pea!! Poor little bugger is not liking me very much at the moment and I'll keep a very close eye on her for a while.. Her mouth is still open, but after a few days of being in the same position, that's to be expected I suppose..

Lesson learned the hard way.. No "Al dente" peas for platies!!!:oops:

Reactions: fish monger
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.