Tropical Fish Keeping banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had 5 otocinclus catfish in a planted 10 gal, it's been cycled and stable for about 4 months now. I wanted it to be mainly an oto tank, so I purchased 5 to start off with and I've had them for a little over a month, and this morning I found one dead :( My tank readings are normal, I do 20-25% water changes weekly. when I was watching them earlier I noticed that they were zipping through a new tank ornament cave I'd put in a few days ago, I guess the edges or something are too rough because when I looked closer at them they have little scrapes on various parts of their bodies which they didn't before. The only other tankmates they have are nerites, and I don't think they'd cause any damage so my guess is it's the ornament, which I've taken out. I'm just worried that maybe the one I found dead this AM was somehow due to scraping on the ornament, and I don't want any of my other little guys to die. Is there something that would be safe for me to treat them with? I have Melafix & PimaFix on hand, as well as tetracycline, one of the fixes and the tetracycline say they're good for open sores? I can also run out to get them something else if it'd be safe for them, I just don't know what I can possibly treat their wounds with that won't kill them cuz I know they're sensitive fish :(

·
Registered
42 Posts
Melafix is the best I think. Tetracycling hope I spelled right is a good antibiotic though I have used it before for ulcers on Oscars from fighting..

1 - 2 of 2 Posts