Tropical Fish Keeping banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
I have two tanks, one is cycling and one is a 5 gal (Soon to be upgraded)
505 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am finally getting my pond! It will be fully setup in about two weeks! As for fish, I was going to do Koi fish but they are expensive and not really available.

So, I have decided to get goldfish, plecos, Oscars, red ear slider turtles, oscars, and POSSIBLY Hi Fin Sharks.

Problem one: I really want Oranda and Shubunkin goldfish. However, my pet store sells large Shubunkin but really small Orands goldfish. I am worried that if I put them together they might get eaten? Is that possible, and if is so is there a way to prevent that?

Problem two: Hi Fin Sharks need to eat worms and get (I think) two feet. Do they NEED to eat food like brine shrimp and worms, or can they just eat regular goldfish/fish food? Also how many could I get?

Problem three: I am getting red-ear slider turtles, but I have never owned turtles before, so any tips/how many should I get?

·
Registered
10g: 8 young golden Dalmatian mollies 1 neon tetra 2 nerite snails 10g: 2 nerites, soon molies fr t1
174 Posts
My guy! What’s with all the caps . Please.

If you want koi, you can get good sized ones at your basic petsmart. Least they sell them at mine. They are like three or four inches.
And when you say a fish is “big” or “small” just how big and small are we talk

·
Registered
505 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks a bunch! So I solved all my problems but now I have a new one lol. Will the turtles eat goldfish?

·
Administrator
7-10 tanks ranging in sizes up to 125g
60 Posts
Don't know. I would image with enough space, and the fish being large enough you would probably be ok. I wouldn't rule out nipping and possibly an occasional death though.

·
Registered
10g: 8 young golden Dalmatian mollies 1 neon tetra 2 nerite snails 10g: 2 nerites, soon molies fr t1
174 Posts
Just thought of this.
I’ve heard of turtles climbing out of ponds. Just a heads up,

·
Registered
505 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks! I am going to have a fence and a net so they can't escape. I've decided that I'm going to get the goldfish really huge before I add in the turtles. I'm thinking red ear sliders?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts