Tropical Fish Keeping banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have successfully breed and raised mollies, guppies, swords and platties for the last 3 years. About 6 months ago started noticing my females will have a big belly, but in fact there is no eggs let alone babies in them. Not sure if I over medicated them? Made them sterile? I had started using a Pur water filter about that same time frame as I discovered have metal flakes in my well water. Could this have caused something? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Have you acquired any new fish or plants lately? And if so, where did you get them? My initial thought is a parasitic infection. This is assuming no change in food, and that your water changes have been regular to avoid any other possible variables.

Also of note, what medications have you been using for them?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Stopped adding any new fishes once I realized something was drastically wrong. I thought I might of had a parasite problem, so treated the main tank with Maracyn Two. No change, so after a week tried General Cure (API). Still no change. About a year ago I did have a round worm infestation. Thought I had gotten rid of them? But maybe not?

·
Registered
153 Posts
So I'm still looking into your problem - a few things of note, if your females are gollys or muppies, they're infertile by genetic default.

As for the treatments you used, General Cure API is made up of Metronidazole and Praziquantel. Metronidazole is sometimes used for Genetically Modified fish in order to cause infertility in males and females, but it has to be used in rather high doses. I don't know what it would take to make your females infertile, I would have to imagine it to be a good bit. As for the Praziquantel portion of the medication, I don't think it would be too much of a problem.

I know a lot of this might be old news to you, but I'll assume nothing if it helps you pinpoint your problems!

Also, you said you've been breeding successfully for 3 years? How long have you had these particular females?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you Rocky Conner for your advise and help. I am thinking more and more it is an internal parasite problem. When I dissect a dead female, there can be very long stringy substance. I thought that maybe it was their intestines, but could this be worm? A year ago I realized I had a round worm problem because one of my 6 month old swordtail had what looked like it's intestines inverted from it's body. Went online only to discovered round worm problem. I have horse's, dogs and cats, so am familiar with worming my pets. (I live on a farm). What meds would you suggest I use for treating internal parasites?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Also, another question. I have as a conversation piece (not breeding) a foot long tiger Oscar, 2 Jack delays and Placostomise in 55 gal in my front room. They seem healthy, but I would feed them the unwanted male and ugly females of my live bearing smaller fish. Should I be treating these big guys just as a precaution. Have had these big guys sense they were babies and they are beautiful and big now.Thank you again for all your advice

·
Registered
153 Posts
Unfortunately, I don't know of any internal parasite treatments that aren't very tough on your fish, and aren't especially tough on the females. My normal cure-all, especially for Guppies, is a salt bath, but I don't know that this will help. I hope others who know more might have a few suggestions on what else it might be... maybe you should try and get some pictures up to see if some of the guys on here have noticed something you may have overlooked - or at least get some second opinions before moving to harsh treatments that may be more potentially harmful to your tank than the cause of the issue itself.

·
Registered
153 Posts
I just wish I could do more - as a fellow guppy enthusiast and breeder, I know how frustrating it must be right this second.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Internal Parasites treatment successful

After treating my main tank with Tetra Parasite Guard, all my fish are healthy and even found a newborn Molly this morning in the tank. Would of wanted to of had the Mom in one of my delivery tanks, but with my fish having internal parasites, their tummies were big. I have not had a fish give me babies in over 6 months because they had internal parasites and I did not realize this. I soaked some frozen brine shrimp and the Tetra Parasite Guard for about 15 min to make sure the medicine got into their tummies. Vacuum the bottom gravel every morning, changing about 15 percent of the water. Then added live good bacteria daily ever morning because the medicine that I added every night would of killed the good bacteria off. This process was successful! :)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts