Tropical Fish Keeping banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I’m currently having a big problem in my tank and I’m wondering what I could do about it, my guppies mainly, are getting this weird arch on their back and swimming really weird, then they eventually end up laying down on the ground on their sides, and end up dying about a day later:(. I’ve also been experiencing this with 2 of my corydoras. However, this problem all started after I had a Cory that literally got 2 white eyes. He later ended up dying 3 days ago and that’s when this whole problem started. It’s happening in my 20 gallon tank, I have about 15 boy guppies now, about 14 corydoras, and 2 plecos, one bristlenose, one common. The plecos seem fine right now they’re just acting their normal selves also some of my corys, but whatever this is is really affecting my guppies, they end up from perfectly fine the day before to having a arched “old” look and later that day laying on the ground, on their sides, and passing away. This started 3 days ago and I’ve been changing about 40% of the water daily, and I still see more fish getting the same symptoms.

I would extremely appreciate it if you guys could help me with this thanks.👍

Water Parameters from 2 days ago:
Ph: 7.8
Ammonia: 0.25 ppm
Nitrite: 0 ppm
Nitrate: about 100 ppm(possible cause 😬)

3C7882C2-8290-43D8-9FBB-FC18FB946330.jpeg
682F7BFA-C5F2-49AD-BAFE-8C3D360D80E5.jpeg

·
Registered
44 Posts
Nitrates are certainly high. Get the water changes on the go right away. (y)
The arched back is usually a case of either scoliosis or fish TB. I believe both are pretty much untreatable. :(

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Nitrates are certainly high. Get the water changes on the go right away. (y)
The arched back is usually a case of either scoliosis or fish TB. I believe both are pretty much untreatable. :(

Hey thanks for trying to help dude, one of my fish has died sadly from this, his eyes went like cloudy ish and he just was laying down the whole time. some snails were actually trying to eat him so I put him in a little “hospital”/ fry tank, at least he died peacefully I guess. I changed 40% of my water every day for the last 5 days and it got the nitrate down to 20 👍. Could this be the guppy simply dying of old age? I’ve had him for about 2 years

·
Registered
44 Posts
Hey thanks for trying to help dude, one of my fish has died sadly from this, his eyes went like cloudy ish and he just was laying down the whole time. some snails were actually trying to eat him so I put him in a little “hospital”/ fry tank, at least he died peacefully I guess. I changed 40% of my water every day for the last 5 days and it got the nitrate down to 20 👍. Could this be the guppy simply dying of old age? I’ve had him for about 2 years
Oh crikey yes, he did well if he was 2 years old. That's the life expectancy of a guppy so he lived a good life.
I should have asked the age, I assumed it was all the fish suffering.
Good news on the nitrates, it's best to get them down to basically 0 as it's highly toxic to fish.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Oh crikey yes, he did well if he was 2 years old. That's the life expectancy of a guppy so he lived a good life.
I should have asked the age, I assumed it was all the fish suffering.
Good news on the nitrates, it's best to get them down to basically 0 as it's highly toxic to fish.

Ok will get it down to 0👍, thanks for all the help man 😎👍

1 - 7 of 7 Posts