Tropical Fish Keeping banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi
I'm a beginner at this and I have done everything the people at the shop have told me to do. Ive also watched hundreds of videos and my boyfriend has a tropical tank so he has helped.
Setting up my tank:
I used barrier classic standard water conditioner, pristine natural organic waste management and colony freshwater professional grade nitrifying bacteria chemicals, strongly recommended at the store. Doing this enabled me to set up my tank thursday and buy fish on saturday, as the store recommended it saying it would be perfectly fine. I used gravel as substrate and washed it throughly as well as my ornaments. My filter is working and heater (which is set to 26 degrees c).
The problem:
The water was fine (ammonia nitrate nitrite ph) so I added 5 male guppies on the Saturday, which I acclimated and added in perfectly fine. They seemed very happy and lively. I didn't feed them for 24 hours as recommended, but I did put a few flakes because they seemed jolly and werent hiding. HOWEVER, Monday three of the fish were dead which was a shock to me. I tested the water immediately and the results were still perfect. No ammonia nitrite nitrate etc. Therefore i added my airstone, which the store didnt even recommend but i did this incase it was the issue. The next day another fish died and the day after that my final fish died. I have no idea why!!! I cannot get my head around this because everything was going perfectly and i have done everything as instructed to.

Suggestions? Please help.:frown2:

·
Registered
5,201 Posts
Buying quality fish can be a challenge sometimes, so sometimes that’s just something that happens sometimes. However, no where did I see you mention any values for your water tests. I’ve seen people say their water was perfect, when the later revealed numbers said it was very clearly not. Soooo, what were the exact numbers for ammonia, nitrite and nitrate?

Things rarely go exactly as planned because there’s a gap between theory and practice

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Buying quality fish can be a challenge sometimes, so sometimes that’s just something that happens sometimes. However, no where did I see you mention any values for your water tests. I’ve seen people say their water was perfect, when the later revealed numbers said it was very clearly not. Soooo, what were the exact numbers for ammonia, nitrite and nitrate?
I used the water life test ammonia test kit, nitrite, nitrate and pH. It’s done by colour code from chemicals mixed with my aquarium water and it always showed clear water meaning there wasn’t any of the harsh bacteria, but that seems strange to me because if I understand correctly there is always a bit of something...

·
Registered
5,201 Posts
None of those tests are for bacteria, so I do not know what “clear water” means. The toxic components are ammonia and nitrite, so it’s really really important to have actual values for them. Again, I wish I could just take you at your word that the water is good, but unfortunately I’ve seen way too many people claim at the start that their toxic water was “good”. That’s really step one, and we can’t begin to explore other reasons for the deaths of the fish until you reveal those number values in PPM.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts