Tropical Fish Keeping banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 65gallon planted tank, one of my bolivian rams has been sitting at the top of the driftwood rocking from side to side. As soon as i noticed it, I immediately setup a quarantine tank with the tank water and i added some aquarium salt and seachem prime. Any idea what it could be? Please help I don't want to lose this one :(

I'll be checking this post often and if you want to reach me directly, I am currently on aquariumforum.com chat and tropicalfishkeeping.com chat. Thank you

·
Registered
317 Posts
I have a 65gallon planted tank, one of my bolivian rams has been sitting at the top of the driftwood rocking from side to side. As soon as i noticed it, I immediately setup a quarantine tank with the tank water and i added some aquarium salt and seachem prime. Any idea what it could be? Please help I don't want to lose this one :(

I'll be checking this post often and if you want to reach me directly, I am currently on aquariumforum.com chat and tropicalfishkeeping.com chat. Thank you
okay, can you give us some more information about your tank? What tank mates, what filtration, what are you water parameters? Is the fish breathing rapidly? Do you notice any spots, sores, nipped fins, swollen gils?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
okay, can you give us some more information about your tank? What tank mates, what filtration, what are you water parameters? Is the fish breathing rapidly? Do you notice any spots, sores, nipped fins, swollen gils?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V0v1GsR8BWc here's a video
pH=7.4, ammonia=.25-.5, nitrite=0, nitrate=10
right now no tank mates since it's in a quarantine tank, but in the main 65gal there are german blue rams, more bolivian rams, red fire dwarf gouramis, blue platies, neon swordtails, a pleco, assassin snails, and crystal red shrimp

·
Registered
317 Posts
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V0v1GsR8BWc here's a video
pH=7.4, ammonia=.25-.5, nitrite=0, nitrate=10
right now no tank mates since it's in a quarantine tank, but in the main 65gal there are german blue rams, more bolivian rams, red fire dwarf gouramis, blue platies, neon swordtails, a pleco, assassin snails, and crystal red shrimp

What about other symptoms? .25-.5 of ammonia is not good. This could be ammonia poisoning. You need to do a water change and treat with Prime or Amquel. Matter of fact I feel sure that you need to do a large water change and treat with Prime. And do them often.

·
Registered
317 Posts
i just got a chance to watch the video. Something definitely ain't right and he is breathing mighty heavily. Any other fish have symptoms? I'm gonna do some research. Is he eating?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i just got a chance to watch the video. Something definitely ain't right and he is breathing mighty heavily. Any other fish have symptoms? I'm gonna do some research. Is he eating?
nope no other fish have these symptoms
He's not eating either
I'm thinking it's an internal parasite, i'm going to buy some seachem paraguard tomorrow

·
Registered
317 Posts
nope no other fish have these symptoms
He's not eating either
I'm thinking it's an internal parasite, i'm going to buy some seachem paraguard tomorrow
If it is internal parasites his poop will be clearish white. Seriously the ammonia level in your tank is too high. .25 is bad, .5 is deadly.

·
Registered
317 Posts
I strongly disagree with ammonia not being a problem. It needs to be zero; however, this is your tank to do as you please.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I strongly disagree with ammonia not being a problem. It needs to be zero; however, this is your tank to do as you please.
It has been zero on most tests, but this is probably caused by internal parasites as the fish isn't eating and is very emaciated

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
But I will keep doing water changes as that should bring the ammonia levels down. Along with seachem paraguard and aquarium salt

·
Registered
317 Posts
Another suggestion may be swim bladder problems? Poor guy :( i love bolivian rams. I want to help you. Ima keep researching :/ im looking at fishfarmacy.com. I did find out that the rocking back and forth is called "shimmying" so that may help in our research.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Another suggestion may be swim bladder problems? Poor guy :( i love bolivian rams. I want to help you. Ima keep researching :/ im looking at fishfarmacy.com. I did find out that the rocking back and forth is called "shimmying" so that may help in our research.
Yep, shimmying is the first thing i thought of in all of my research today, that's why i loaded the quarantine with aquarium salt, which i don't use in my main tank, so the fish could get some electrolytes

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
At this point, I don't think it will hurt :/ I hope he makes it. keep us updated.
Will do, hopefully he can hold out another 7-8 hours for some intense help to arrive.

Freshwater Fish Disease and Treatment Chart - Live Fish | Pet Care Corner by PetSolutions - PetSolutions Blog

this chart says to use rid ich+ for the shimmies, not sure how that would help, but i actually do have a bottle of that at home, should i put some in? Or hold out for the paraguard?

·
Registered
317 Posts
Man, I wish I knew.... It would help if you could see his poop. Internal parasites nearly always cause poop to be white and stringy.

Have you tried bribing him with something tasty to eat?

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
Your ammonia should be 0... Either your tests are off, you're not performing them correctly, or something is seriously wrong with your fish tank.

It's not okay to be that high. Whether or not that is the issue with your fish idk. It seems strange that that's the only fish that has it.

I don't have enough experience with disease to feel comfortable giving you advice but the ammonia is a problem, be it a separate problem or the cause of this problem.

Reactions: NewFishFiend

·
Registered
69 Posts
Do a water change first, at least 25% of the aquarium. Make sure your new water is the correct temp. and you use a good dechlorinator. Next, Rams love to duck, and hide, give the fish somewhere to go, and get out of your face. Don't forget to clean your filter when you change the water.
If the fish continues this 24 hours after the water change , you can look for other problems, and medicate. Lets not just start to dump in meds before we add clean fresh water. There is more to water than what we test.

Is this fish eating?

1 - 20 of 28 Posts