Tropical Fish Keeping banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi , i just got 1 albino juvenile angel 2 days and got another one, 1 day ago and the first angel is attacking the other one and the other one is not fighting back ,he is just
swimming away and generally being sacred.
i add on a little plants to stop the aggression but its not helping .

·
Registered
80 Posts
Right,I would just give them time. However, if this continues fr months in a row or they are becoming more aggressive towards each other (Almost tearing fins level.) remove the aggressive one and give it to somebody who doesn't have another angelfish already. Then, by a new calmer angelfish and attempt to start over.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Try adding some longer leafed plants like vallisineria in thick bunches, and some floating plants with trailing roots, like dwarf water lettuce. These plants work great for giving angels places to hide from each other, and the plants also help break up the line of sight for the fishes, which helps them avoid each other. Also angels are best kept in groups, unless they are a bonded breeding pair. They are semi aggressive by nature, but keeping in groups spreads the aggression and stops individual fish being victimised. Although I don't think your tank is big enough for a group though, especially as they grow.
Good luck with it

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Right,I would just give them time. However, if this continues fr months in a row or they are becoming more aggressive towards each other (Almost tearing fins level.) remove the aggressive one and give it to somebody who doesn't have another angelfish already. Then, by a new calmer angelfish and attempt to start over.
my 2nd angelfish fins are now damaged , what should i do now ?
his so scared of the 1st angel and does not fight back

·
Registered
80 Posts
Thats terrible! Get a plastic container add freshwater and possibly a small filter or decor for it. Remove the one that is the most damaged. Add a little bit or MARINE salt to stop an infection from forming. Only add a small pinch. You can ONLY USE MARINE SALT! Any other salts will kill your fish. After about a week to week and a half (Make sure to do water changes in container) buy this: Amazon.com: XMHF Nylon Mesh Fish Fry Hatchery Breeder Box Separation Net: Home & Kitchen or something similar and put the more aggressive angelfish into it. If it shows like it wants to attack after being in there for 2-3 weeks your going to have to give it away or something.

·
Registered
40 Posts
The bullied angel will become highly stressed and will slowly become ill and possibly die if the bullying is left to continue. Angels are cichlids and can be very aggressive, I've always found angels to look "angelic" and like butter wouldn't melt, but you will sometimes get a rogue that hates tankmates and wants the tank to itself. There are a couple of things you can try which have already been mentioned. You can either buy a few more angels to try and spread the aggression, or take the bully away and leave the other in the tank and try adding a few tetras or similar, and keep the angel as a centrepiece fish. Please don't let the bullying go on, in the wild the weaker fish can get away but in a tank it's stuck with the attacker.
Sometimes you can buy more fish and the bullying will stop but it's not guaranteed. The bullying may still carry on.
If it was my tank I'd remove the bully and either try some different angels or a different species.
Good luck with it. (y)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts