Tropical Fish Keeping banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone! I’m new to this forum and aquarium keeping but looking for help.

I got 4 balloon mollies yesterday and one of the females has been hanging about the bottom of the tank since I put her in and seems to be struggling to swim to the top. I did notice she was thinner than the others and she seems weak.

There are no obvious issues with the other 3 (and my other 4 platys) and my water tests are coming back good.

Any advice would be great!

ps. I am not entirely sure she is a balloon molly? What do you think?

·
Registered
59 Posts
1. That is not a balloon molly that is a regular female molly about to give birth.
2. If you want to save her babies move her to a seperate container or tank with freshwater in it.
3. The babies might be mutations if she breed with a balloon molly.
4. If she is not having babies and is still lying on the ground it either means she is dying from trying to give birth or she is very ill.
5. If she does not have babies in the next 24 hours give her a salt bath but only with half the amount of salt you would normally use.
6. I love your tank it looks amazing.
7. Balloon mollies can handle only a very light water flow and the filter should be turned off when they are eating because their body mass is much to big for their regular sized fins.
8. If you got these fish from petsmart or petco they will somtimes lie to you and say that regular mollies are balloons mollies, or mix them up by mistake.
9. That fish looks very manourished, take some tweezers or chopsticks and hold a bloodworm close to her.
10. If you don't see her body their the next day all I can say is that mollies tend to dissapear when they die because they will bury temselves or if they are to weak they will dissolve and you should do a water change either way.
11. Bye hope this helps reply back for more infermation or help or if you need anything else!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
1. That is not a balloon molly that is a regular female molly about to give birth.
2. If you want to save her babies move her to a seperate container or tank with freshwater in it.
3. The babies might be mutations if she breed with a balloon molly.
4. If she is not having babies and is still lying on the ground it either means she is dying from trying to give birth or she is very ill.
5. If she does not have babies in the next 24 hours give her a salt bath but only with half the amount of salt you would normally use.
6. I love your tank it looks amazing.
7. Balloon mollies can handle only a very light water flow and the filter should be turned off when they are eating because their body mass is much to big for their regular sized fins.
8. If you got these fish from petsmart or petco they will somtimes lie to you and say that regular mollies are balloons mollies, or mix them up by mistake.
9. That fish looks very manourished, take some tweezers or chopsticks and hold a bloodworm close to her.
10. If you don't see her body their the next day all I can say is that mollies tend to dissapear when they die because they will bury temselves or if they are to weak they will dissolve and you should do a water change either way.
11. Bye hope this helps reply back for more infermation or help or if you need anything else!
Thank you for your reply. She’s still hanging around the bottom of the tank she is quite thin I wonder if she has recently given birth? I will try your suggestions. I bought the ‘balloon’ mollys from pets at home which I believe is similar to petco etc.

can you help identify the other 3? I think only one may be a balloon. I also wonder if any of the others are pregnant, I am worried that if they’ve been in a mixed tank and have mutated babies this will cause them issues.

Thank you again for your help, I really appreciate it.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Love your fish super cute! The first yellow one and the dalmation are just regular mollies. the one you sent me before is also a dalmation molly, however, the second yellow molly is definitly a balloon molly. I cannot tell which ones are boys and which ones are girls except for the balloon molly from the pictures but you have a major problem here. I can tell that the balloon molly is a male from the picture and it's likely at least 1 of your other mollies is a female. the dalmation molly on the bottom of the tank is probably a girl about to give birth. I'm afraid ther is unfortuantly nothing you can do to help that poor fish. :( They only have medicines for big fish like goldfish at the pet stores and I don't know of any fish medicines that could help. I reccomend removing the balloon molly and giving it to somone else that hasa enough room for another balloon molly or buyign a seperate tank and putting 1-2 more ballon mollies in it for your this one to hang around with. I also reccomend removing the one on the bottom and putting her into a seperate container in case she is not having babies but is sick since ir hard to tell these things somtimes. If she is on the bottom of your makshift tank (Your makshift tank can be made out of a plastic container) for 3 days she is in alot of pain and you will have to flush her away... She will just be in pain if it's another hour or year. You probably she do a full tank cleaning of the original molly tank so that if she did have a disease it won't spread. If they all die during this process don't worry you did everything you could and it's not your fault if you can't do any of this either. Part of the fish hobby is your fishin dying and the inportant thing to remeber is not to blame it on yourself even if you made the mistake, try to figure out what went wrong and then fix it next time, and remember the good things about the hobby and stay in it because their will be way more good times of seeing you adorable fish gobble of food or swim then the bad times of your fish dying. I had a butterfly teloscope goldfish that only lived 12 years instead of 30 because my sister had a medical problem and I had to leave for a month to help her and I couldn't feed my fish. These things happen and it's best to improve then forget abput the sadness of it happening. Hope this helps! Reply for more infermation!

·
Registered
59 Posts
Oops! 1 last thing, DO NOT BUY THEM FROM PETS FOR HOMES PETSMART AND PETCO MIGHT TELL YOU THE WRONG INFERMATION BUT THEY DON'T ABUSE FISH AND MIX THEM UP LIKE PETS 4 HOMES!!!!!!!!!!!!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts