Tropical Fish Keeping banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
I haven't named any of my fish yet, but the last time I went on a naming binge for something I used Shakespeare characters: Emilia. Benvolio. Celia. Mercutio. Romeo... Mercutio, now that's the best name ever. 8)

·
Registered
2,889 Posts
i have all mine named after x files characters, but thats just me, and probably kinda sad. you could maybe have a mulder and a scully though :)

·
Registered
627 Posts
i have to many to write down lol, a few r, godfrey the goldfish, maureen the balloon molly, tommy k(as in ketchup, male guppy, bosh, gbr and many more!!! not forgetting freddie the frog!

·
Registered
238 Posts
I name mine any old name that will fit them--Dexter the angelfish, jellybean the dwarf puffer, Ursula the evil kribensis, Juanita, Pedro, and Jose the german blue rams--Donatella and Rex the bettas

·
Registered
188 Posts
haha... all my animals have people names... the cats are sophie, ernest, and scarlett... billy the dog... jack the horse... only a few of the fish have names... mike, delilah, amy, priscilla, dave, harvey, lucy, alfred :p

·
Registered
44 Posts
no human names?

personally, I really appreciated the first post with the suggestion to name fish after stars.

I feel uncomfortable naming animals after people for some reason.

Still need to name most of my fish myself.
So far I have Pirate the angel (he has a birth defect - no eye), cory - Elgatta (cat in Spanish - he/she has them long whiskers), Juicy the rainbow shark, Kapoochi Boo (don't ask me what it means) the pleco, Robo the moon :)

Everyone in my family has a task to name a fish - makes it easier.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Not to be a pest, but just to let you know:
Spanish for "the cat" is el gato. I do like the sound of elgatta better though.

As for my tank I did decide to go with the Shakespeare theme. The tank shall be called called Verona (Denmark is reserved for the fridge so I can say something is rotten in there), and I've named my orange and red fancy male guppy Tybalt.

·
Registered
72 Posts
The reason I nae after people I know is because My sisters friends are 17 and they all love my fish tanks. So each time they come they bring a new fish and make e nae it after them :D.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Our pets are named several different ways, usually dealing with history and mythology...and almost all have nicknames...

Dogs: Issac (Isaac Newton), Xander the Great (Alexander the Great)

Cats: Confucious (Phew-cat), Constantine (who only answers to "Pinky", thanks to my husband), Cambian (mythological half-demon), Connor (after Sean Connery the actor)

Turtles: All medieval armor: Half-plate, Full-plate, Hide, Ringmail

Parakeet- "Bird Face" she has mobster connections :wink:

Bearded Dragon: Jupiter

Bettas: "He", "She" royal blue veiltails, "Red" the Red Cambodian, and "Frost" the blue Cambodian.

I guess it just depends on what interests you. We like history, so our names reflect that...

Oh, and a female cat would be known as "la gata" if you were to follow the same rules Spanish has for naming other objects.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Good names. I like the concept and might name my two female guppies Genghis and Gandi to mix things up. And indeed, la gata for female and el gato for male. It's kinda cool to mix them together though... maybe if it were a snale named after a cat or a nuetered cat... ;) Or just a he-she obviously.

·
Registered
44 Posts
el gato / la gata

shamed :( utterly shamed :( as a linguist (the only excuse is that I never actually learnt Spanish)

thats what happens when you don't analyze what you hear from a friend :oops:

but i appreciate the info :D

regarding naming fish after people, I don't, cause when the fish dies, what reaction do you expect after you tell your mom "Mike just died" if you named your fish after your brother... :cry:

So, I'll just keep looking for fancy misspelt and twisted names like elgatta (still sounds cool doesn't it) or names of stars and kings long gone instead :wink:

BTW since I really dont know if the fish is a male or a female, maybe mixing up 'el' and 'la' wasn't that bad after all... :oops:

thanks a lot

·
Registered
162 Posts
I like to take the route of the native americans, and let the fish "name themselves" Soon enough, you'll notice a little quirk about the fish, and be like "yeah, that's a total _________"

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
Some of my fish have names, some not. If they're distinctive, then they get a name, otherwise not. The names are usually jokes or straight out descriptions: Tomato Butt (red tailed male guppy), Horndog (my longest surviving male guppy); Yellowtail, Speckle, Freckle, and Jeannie (Female guppies. Jeannie had a black tail and was named for an adult film actress.) Cthulhu, Mrs. Cthulhu, and Rosita My bristlenosed plecos (male & two females. Cthulhu being the squid faced Elder god from HP Lovecraft's works.) Dewey, Cheetham, Bilk, Howe, and Lipschitz (4 Sterba's and 1 3 lined cory. I figured that I'd name my bottom feeders after Lawyers.) I'm tempted to name my 5 albino Cories after prominent Republicans for similar reasons (Shrub, Poppy, Ronnie, Nancy, and Babs). Maybe my albino bristlenosed plecos can be Orrin Hatch and Henry Hyde. Groucho (Sand Loach). Janis, Buck, and Timothy (Pearl or Leeri gouramis.) Mr. Pleakly and Mr. Jumbaa (Clown and Bulldog plecos, named after characters in Lilo and Stitch.) I'm tempted to give my SAEs dog names - Fido, Rover, Duke, and I think my betta (when I get him) will be named Spike. I've got one exceptionally large and fat Otto named Shamoo. I probably have close to 100 other fish, but they get names like, the "black tetra with the F-ed up fin", or "One of the neons".

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
hamdogg08 said:
I like to take the route of the native americans, and let the fish "name themselves" Soon enough, you'll notice a little quirk about the fish, and be like "yeah, that's a total _________"
Drat! Now I have to have a fish named "Two Dogs ___ing". :lol:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts