Tropical Fish Keeping banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys just asking some questions about lighting. Here is the setup I have now, I know nothing about it but here are the pics:

I would like to get something like Roger has, the moonlight thing. I plan on adding coral soon but I need better lighting. Would improve lighting do anything with the fish or change anything I should worry about? Would having a corner tank change any options that I have? thanks guys

Dave

·
Registered
13,248 Posts
trreherd said:
For an odd shaped tank like that a would think a metal halide pendent would be your best bet.
I agree.:) This way the light spectrum will be evenly distributed around the area of the tank. But that tank appears to be a corner tank.:squint:

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
a new light wont do anything to your fish. however you will want to introduce the new light slowly, that way your tank wont be overrun with algea. And your corals will need to get used to it too.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So if I did get a new light I would just turn it on for short periods at a time? Also I am guessing the lights clip on the side of the tank. Would the new lights melt the plastic? Also I am guessing I would have to add water more regularly? 1 more quick question what is lunar light? thanks again guys

Dave

·
Banned
2,012 Posts
lunar light is a moon light, there on after the main tank light goes off. There good if you want to see the nocturnal behavior of your fish and it also relieves stress on your fish.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So If I got a clip on set would I have to take the glass cover off the top of the tank? I am just worried I would have to add water everyday. :(

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Also I forgot to ask if anyones a good lunar light I could get? I saw 1 or 2 that I liked corallife has a clip on one. What do you guys think?

·
Registered
1,645 Posts
As much as I like Hellolights and always recommend them, I'm disappointed that light you showed does not come with actinics. Unless you plan to continue using the light you have and the new light I'd recommend this one. http://cgi.ebay.com/24-Metal-Halide...4187207QQihZ015QQcategoryZ46314QQcmdZViewItem A friend of mine has ordered this light and is very satisifed. It has everything you could want. 12K MH for growth and bright lighting. PC actinics for color and dawn/dusk effect. Moonlights for night time. External ballast to keep the weight down.

If you do not have fish that jump out of the tank I'd recommend you ditch the glass and plan to add water daily. The evaporative water is releasing heat build up in the tank. By trapping the water it heats the tank. Just like the reason why you sweat. The sweat builds up and as it evaporates it creates a cooling effect. You are preventing your tank from sweating.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Could I use my fixture that I have now with that light? I don't even know how close to the water the light has to be I am thinking of giving them a call again tomarrow.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I had the option to pick between 10,000K or blue/white 20,000K XDE. I though the 20k would be better. My other question is how would I fit both fixtures up there? If I could avoid hanging the fixture that would be nice.

·
Registered
1,645 Posts
This might not be the answer you are looking for but, I have had several versions of lighting over the years and I must say I prefer them suspended from the ceiling. I never have to mess with them. They are always out of my way. I can leave the lightson while fragging, cleaning or arranging. I don't know if that Hellolights kit comes with legs or not. It appears to only be a suspended unit. The one in the Ebay link I sent comes with legs.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
The one I linked didn't come with legs =/ I don't mind hanging it I just didn't want to spend 400+ on lighitng. The one you linked was very nice and it came with the bulbs. You got me thinking about it but if I could use my lighting and one I linked with the 10k bulbs you think that would work? I guess I could hang it.

·
Registered
1,645 Posts
I'd prefer to see you with the 250w but you will be very satisified with that light. Again my friend Kyle has now bought 3 lights from that manufacturer and has been very happy with what he got for his money. In the end I think you'll be happier with a "all in one" type fixture such as that. With that light you could keep most anything so long as you realize that your SPS and clams will need to be above the halfway mark in your tank.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts