Tropical Fish Keeping banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Hi everyone! I picked up this guy from a tank labelled 'Protomelas red empress' but I don't think he's that species...any ideas? He has a blue sheen on the face, yellow egg spots, silvery/grey body and some black on the fins. He's about 6-7cm. Thanks for your input all!

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
3,247 Posts
I turned the picture round to make it easier to view as it was upside down.

·
Super Moderator
3,247 Posts
I would agree that it doesnt look like a Red Empress, juveniles usually have a black broken horizontal line running along the length of their body from eye to tail fin.

I am having a hard time working out what it is.

·
Reference Team
1,573 Posts
Looks like a female peacock to me really. Not sure which one. Def not a Red Empress though.
(but then even I'm doubting myself lol. The anal fin is throwing me off)

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The reason I think it's male is because in the tank it was in at the store it had its own little territory & was chasing the other fish out of it, fins flared. Not sure how I managed to post the picture upside down but thanks for fixing Taz! I'll try to take some pics at different angles
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Reference Team
1,573 Posts
OK.. Thats a better look at the anal fin. I'm a little more confident it's a female. And I'm still leaning more towards peacock.

·
Super Moderator
3,247 Posts
My initial thought was that it was a young Aulonocara baenschi. but the more I look at the Dorsal fin, the more I am stumped.

It could also be a Pundamilia nyererei although I would expect more Orange showing in the anal fin at that size if it was.

·
Super Moderator
3,247 Posts
It is possible.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Guess ill just have to keep my eye on it & make sure it's not getting bullied it anything, if it's a peacock it might not do too well with my boisterous fish.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Super Moderator
3,247 Posts
I agree, keep an eye on it and wait a bit to see if it develops any more color.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts