Tropical Fish Keeping banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello! I'm really hoping someone can help me out! I recently noticed the other day that I've got a few Cory fry! They're almost big enough to not get eaten, but still small enough that I'm a little concerned for their safety. My biggest concern, however, is gravel vacuuming. The substrate is just about due to be cleaned, but I don't want them to get sucked up into the vac. Should I just forgo for a bit longer and let them get a bit bigger? Or do you think it would be fine to go ahead? If I can catch one while it's hanging out I'll see if I can snap a photo. I think there's three total last time I counted, but heaven only knows if there's more hiding or not! It was a total surprise to me to find that they had survived. I figured that they had all become snacks, but the. Again that's also what I thought about my swordtail fry and I've got four health baby swords. Anyways. Off topic. Advice on substrate vacuuming? I do have a mix of sand and gravel that I vacuum generally every two to three weeks, and it's been just about two if I remember correctly

·
Registered
1,764 Posts
Since you have gravel, and mulm can build up soo quickly, I would encourage you to vacuum. I'd just vac, and then before tossing have a good look in the bucket - if you use one - and see if you can see any babies in there... Or strain the waste through a strainer and if you catch anything, net/pick it up and place it back into the tank. I've done that a few times, used hands to retain the slime coat since nets are so abrasive, and placed them back into the tank. They were fine.

Edit: if needed, let the waste settle and see if you can see anything kicking around in there, that also helps! :)

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That's pretty helpful for sure, but I guess I'm still not sure what the best method to clean the substrate is. I've got a mix of substrate, 10 pounds of sand and 5 of gravel, so what would be the best method of cleaning that? I also have two HOB filters (marine land penguin 200 and aqua clear 20) on my tank right now (29 gal) so I feel like if I went for the "stirring and letting the filters take it" method it would not catch it all? I really want to get a canister but they run so expensive that I can't afford one without saving for a bit. Thought? Advice?

·
Registered
1,764 Posts
btw, new tank syndrome will not be in affect if you dont vacuum but preform regular water changes - in response to your site. At most, it would help in keeping the water params 'fresher' for longer.
Judging by your pic, i can spot of bit of sub in one of them. I imagine that all you need is to hover the vac on top, since the sand will stop mulm from accumulating further down.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts