Tropical Fish Keeping banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have a five gallon that’s home to 4 mystery snails, 4 amino shrimp, a bunch of ramshorns and some pond snails. I had 6 mysteries but lost two recently and quickly. I noticed the hydra not long after. I’ve watched many utube videos on how to get rid of it. Some say it’s ok to use fenbendisole with snails and shrimp, some say remove them. I’m curious as to weather anyone has delt with hydra and snails and what dosage of Panacur C do I use for a five gallon. All videos state o.10 for ten gallons. I’m confused by this. Help!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7 aquaria: live plants, shrimp, snails, celestial danios, white clouds, corys, ottos...
24 Posts
I have not known hydra to be detrimental to mystery snails, but I did use Fenbendazole to control planaria in several tanks last year. The planaria were becoming very numerous and were killing my mystery snails.

I treated the infested tanks with the generic PetSmart equivalent to Panacur, 0.1 gram per 10 gallons and it did kill the planaria, although one tank took two treatments.

To clarify this dosage for you, you would use the Panacur measured by weight at a rate of one tenth of one gram for each 10 gallons. If you are treating a five gallon tank, you would use half this amount, 0.05 grams per 5 gallons.

If you don't have a scale appropriate for this, you can mix the entire packet into a volumetric measure, note the weight of the packet, then divide the solution down from there. If you dissolve a 1 gram packet into 100 milliliters of water, and you are looking for 0.05 gram/5 gallons, you would multiply .05 x 100 to get "5 milliliters of solution for 5 gallons".

Comments:
Remove the charcoal element from your filter so it doesn't pull the treatment out.

Grind the dry Panacur/generic equivalent into very fine powder before attempting to dissolve. Otherwise, it is very hard to get the larger granules to dissolve, and even the fine powder is hard to really get suspended.

I used a small amount of warm water to make it into paste, mashed/mixed thoroughly, then diluted this paste with a 12 ounce cup of warm water and stirred and stirred. I slowly poured the mix into the outgoing filter stream and let it blend, as not to shock everybody. Did the two day wait and retreated.

Cherry Shrimp survived short-term, but seemed damaged: disoriented, not as active, reduced reproduction and they seemed to thin out some over the next few weeks - I have so much scavenger action going on in my tanks, I never see carcasses from anything, only notice them missing. I would suggest taking them out until you've changed the water after treatment. I did several 50% water changes after the planaria were treated, which was necessary anyway to vacuum off the carcasses.

Mystery snails, tiny rams horn snails, pond snails and several species of fish survived with no apparent issues.

Plants all did OK (about 10-12 species), except my crypts (greens, reds and bronzes), which were all heavily damaged. Most just melted and came back, but most of the survivors seemed stunted for a very long time and many died off. The reds were least affected and I lost almost all of my bronzes.

ETA:
Panacur and the generics that use fenbendazole are not pure fenbendazole. These medications contain "inert" ingredients, and while both show the same concentration of fenbendazolea and the same percentage of filler, the filler itself is not identified and may not be the same material in all brands. This may or may not contribute to the plant and shrimp mortaility differences between what I experienced, what some YouTubers experienced and what other YouTubers experienced that cause conflicting advice you saw.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Are use no planaria powder whenever I have had hydra it works great and within 72 hours they’re completely gone. Just be careful because it will kill snails it’s fine for shrimp but snails is a no-no. And it’s active in the tank for months.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts