Tropical Fish Keeping banner

help! guppie babies!!

2108 Views 10 Replies 4 Participants Last post by  PetMania
I started doing a fishless cycle on my 35 gallon tank and yesterday (almost a month after starting) I decided to add some fish, I purchased two female guppies and a clown pleco. I eventually wanted to house a school of neon tetras, three oto cats, possibly a few cat Cory and a male Betta (probably can't have him in there now)

Within 12 hours of having them in my tank one of the female guppies had babies. I'm also thinking the other female might also be pregnant now, her stomach is quite large compared to the one who just had fry.

The little guys have been transferred into a small 3.5 gallon that is fully cycled, I also turned some flakes into powder and some ate, there are pantyhose over my filter, and the tank is about 25 degrees Celsius (heater is not adjustable tho so they are in a warm spot in the house so it won't get too cold).

Any tips or advice? should iI do water changes if levels go up or treat with prime? did not plan on having more than two guppies, hense buying only two females, how many can I house in a 35 gallon with the other planned fish? Should I weed out the males? What are the chances of future fry surviving in a tank with multiple adults? (Incase some males reach adulthood)
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Here's some pictures of the babies and the mom, cause they are cute lil buggers (sorry phone camera)

Attachments

See less See more
Females can store over 8 broods of sperm after an encounter with a male, I honestly suggest you take the girls back and exchange them for males if you don't want more fry. Water changes to deal with ammonia, nitrites and nitrates, Prime is temporary it doesn't fix the problem. The chances of fry surviving depends on the amount of tight hiding spots (dense plants, ect) in the main tank.
Females can store over 8 broods of sperm after an encounter with a male, I honestly suggest you take the girls back and exchange them for males if you don't want more fry. Water changes to deal with ammonia, nitrites and nitrates, Prime is temporary it doesn't fix the problem. The chances of fry surviving depends on the amount of tight hiding spots (dense plants, ect) in the main tank.
Thanks! I think I'm going to see how these guys do, I can always use the small tank for the Betta. How should I do the water changes with the fry? Pantyhose over the gravel vacuum or is there another suggested method? I don't want to suck any of them up!
Pantyhose over the vac will work well. A 3.5 gallon is a great size for a betta but assuming you continue rescuing fry, your main tank will be overstocked with guppies alone once your girls are empty.
Ya I'm thinking I'll see what I get from this batch and Maybe switch to keeping males. The small tank was my original Betta setup and after the last one passed away I decided to try to house one with more fish in a big tank. sinceI wasn't too sure about the fishless cycle I was just looking for some fish to throw in to help the process along. Looks like the plans have changed! Oh well keeping things interesting!
Posted via Mobile Device
Pretty female..is she like a yellow leopard? I use a turkey baster and the same deal with siphon/pantyhose to keep water clean. Look into Hikari "First Bites" for starter food.
no idea what type, she is pure yellow and black with spots. They had some in with her who were yellow and orange with the black, so she might have a touch of orange too, cant see any though.

The fish guy left work early so didn't get the best info.
I used to think it was leopard. The pattern on her tail is classified as "cobra"

Good luck with your fry!
Just a little update, babies are doing good, seem very active and healthy, can't get a firm count but there are 13 or 14 of them. I got some food for them, pet store only had one choice, HBH baby bites, they seem to like it.

In other news mommy fish LOVES playing in the water that comes out of the filter, when I change the setting she darts over to check it out and plays in the current. Noticed two little babies doing the same today in their tank, most of them stay away but ocassionally I'll find one playing in the current, I intervened fearing one was stuck in the current and it darted away before I even got near to 'saving' it, guess they just think its fun!
When I had an all male group of livebearers, they loved swimming in the currents, very adorable
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.