Tropical Fish Keeping banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys! I have a 5gal planted tank with six ember tetras and some shrimp that's been up since the middle of the summer, and so far it's been great, water is ideal and the fish have been healthy, I had an infection scare so I treated the tank with PINEAPPLE once, but now my biggest ember is sick, she's been opaque and visibly bloated for a week or two and at first I assumed it was eggs, but her breathing has gotten more rapid and this morning I came back from breakfast and found her swimming at the top of the tank, mostly just floating and breathing rapidly. I took the top off the tank to try and get a better look at her and she swam down to the bottom with some difficulty but returned to the surface almost immediately after. I think at this point she's a goner but do you know what it could be? I really don't want to lose more fish. Thanks

·
Registered
81 Posts
Hello there! I hope what I'm about to say will help you:

Ok, so firstly, in my opinion, a 5 gallon tank is too small for ember tetras, I know they are one of the smaller tetra's, but they should be very active, meaning that they will need more than 5 gallons. I'm not going to patronize you because I made the exact same mistake so yeah, I can't really say too much. The shrimp might be alright in a 5 gallon, I could be wrong because I have never kept shrimp before so you are undoubtedly more knowledgeable. Personally, I would upgrade to a 10 gallon aquarium if possible. It's good that you have them in a decent sized school because I have seen so many people with just 1-2. they really are uncomfortable in that small a group.

Anyway, when you say you had an infection scare, what exactly do you mean? An internal parasite or something like swim bladder? You treated the tank with pineapple? umm.. personally, I have NEVER seen anyone treat anything with pineapple, I'm going to have to do a little more research on that ^^

Your tetra has odd symptoms. they are common on their own, but not together... The opaqueness generally indicates poor water quality, high nitrates, nitrite or ammonia can cause this. Also, I've heard from others that ember tetras are not necessarily more sensitive to water changes, but their colours change easier than most other fish. And the bloated belly could possibly indicate overfeeding??? How much do you feed? If you overfeed, then that would lead to the ammonia levels rising at the end of it, and then her breathing would become more rapid because of the repiratory issues she would suffer from as a result of gill damage.

Also, how much oxygen is in the tank? Is there a filter? Air pump? Sorry if these questions are really basic, just wish to get more info. I'm sure that you know all of this already anyway. It might be oxygen issues but that's unlikely because she would be at the top gasping for air. and if there is a filter, is it suitable for your size tank? And what other fish are in there?

I would say it is one of the following things:
Ammonia/nitrate/nitrite issues. however you say that you're water is all good so it cant be that

Which means it has to be swim bladder? Unless I'm missing something, which is likely. Swim bladder is when the fish is unable to maintain its balance and it eventually gasps and unfortunately dies.

If you provide me with the information I need I can try and help you further

·
Administrator
9,804 Posts
That's a tough one to diagnose but typically bloating other than swim bladder or constipation is a sign of organ failure and thus fluid buildup.

Which can be caused by many things. Is the fish eating and pooping normally? Any other fish with symptoms?

And I'm really curious to know what "PINEAPPLE" is. You don't actually mean the fruit do you? :dunno:

·
Registered
81 Posts
That's a tough one to diagnose but typically bloating other than swim bladder or constipation is a sign of organ failure and thus fluid buildup.

Which can be caused by many things. Is the fish eating and pooping normally? Any other fish with symptoms?

And I'm really curious to know what "PINEAPPLE" is. You don't actually mean the fruit do you? :dunno:
i completely agree with you there Romad. it is of course a possibility that an organ has failed. which should, unfortunately lead to death in the end. i am so sorry your having to go through this but i fear death is imminent for the poor fish. and i am also curious what PINEAPPLE is. i automatically assumed it was the fruit ’‚‛

1 - 4 of 4 Posts