Tropical Fish Keeping banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello guys. I've had fish for years but usually neon tetras or guppies. I used to have a pleco but he got big (never believe petco) and started to eat my other fish, so I didn't want to go through that again. This time around I wanted to try cory catfish. Since I only have a 10 gallon I thought corydoras habrosus (dainty cory) would be best. My tank is cycled and levels are good. I bought them yesterday and added them to my tank. They seemed to be doing great. I went to bed and when I woke up I couldn't find one. I found him in the corner of my tank stuck between the glass and filter (I have one of those corner filters). I turned off the filter and pulled him out. I don't know how long he was in there for. I put him in a breeder box with food but he's just breathing heavy, barely moves and doesn't eat. His barbels are gone and part of one side of his fins. I've never hurt a fish like this and I feel so bad! My filter is still off and I'm going to buy sponges to place between the filter and wall from now on so they can't sneak in there. Maybe pantyhose too just to be extra safe?? Does anyone have any advice on taking care of my poor traumatized cory? :crying:

·
Registered
5,201 Posts
The last thing a traumatized fish needs is food, just so you know. That’s the kind of thing that requires time and good clean water to heal. It can help to add something like stress coat to help promote healing.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I didn't know that. Thank you! I took the food out. Added stress coat. I'll let you know what happens.

·
Registered
5,201 Posts
Humans are the only animals that eat when stressed

Fins that are lightly damaged usually grow back in full. Moderately damaged fins usually grow back, but not usually all the way. Heavily damaged fins usually don’t grow back, and barbells don’t grow back. Good news is if the fish survives, it’s going to do just fine even with the possible loss of fins.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts