Tropical Fish Keeping banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have 5 fish I bought as Corydoras Aeneus, 3 Albino Cories and 2 Green Cories (two separate fish stores). Can anyone with experience please confirm these are indeed Corydoras Aeneus. The pictures are not perfect quality, but should be sufficient:

Thank you!

·
Registered
1,692 Posts
Photo wouldn't load for me but you need to get full shoals of each kind - being forced to school outside of their color is stressful for them.

·
Registered
3,374 Posts
Yes, they are corydoras aeneus. Most cories sold as "albino" are the c. aeneus species just in the albino version.
Posted via Mobile Device

Reactions: caveman

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
(pictures working now)

Flint and others, FWIW, the majority of my research before buying indicated the same Corydoras species would shoal regardless of color, but different species of Corydoras would not. My own experience from these 5 seems to confirm what you said - that they do not shoal. They all get along well, but the two Greens (appear male and female), shoal very tightly together always and tend to move slower. The Albinos are typically ALWAYS zipping fast around the tank at all levels. They are aware of each other and often stick together. During feeding time, all 5 Corydoras search the bottom of the tank and often are all together for a while.

I am going to give it some time and monitor their behavior. My hope was that I could have a multicolored shoal. In the end, I may have to offer the Greens up for adoption and add Albinos. I cannot have a full shoal of both as I am overstocked for my filtration (which I have allowed due to plants and the lack of Nitrates for many weeks; Nitrates now around 10ppm since adding the last Corydoras).

Thanks all!

·
Registered
1,692 Posts
They may eventually shoal but out of necessity not because they want to. This would be just as stressful as improper schools.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
I removed the green cories and am looking to add more albinos. I also think one of the greens ate a ghost shrimp right after he molted. They were larger than the albinos and really just were not working in an already well stocked 10 gallon.

I also took out two nerites. One was enough with the three otos in there.

I know eventually my current stock will grow to overstocked, but that is when I set up a larger tank :)

UPDATED TANK:
Fish:
8 Glowlight Tetras (Hemigrammus erythrozonus)
3 Corydoras aeneus (looking to add)
3 Otocinclus vittatus

Invertebrates:
1 Ghost Shrimp
1 Zebra

Plants:
2 Anubias lanceolata attached to a piece of driftwood
2 Java Fern attached to a suction cup along each side of the tank side
(one is currently budding)
4 Water Wisteria, planted
3 small Hornwort stems attached to suction cups along the back of the tank

Setup:
Standard 10 Gallon Tank
Aqueon Deluxe Full Hood, 20" (with 18", 15W, T8 Full Spectrum Bulb)
Top Fin Aquarium Power Filter 20 (I use my own filter media including 8 Cobalt Aquatics Ceramic Rings)
Aqueon Submersible 50 Watt Heater
Top Fin Air-1000 Air Pump (with wooden air stone)

Water Quality:
6.8 pH
1.5 dKH
4 dGH
0 ppm Ammonia
0 ppm Nitrite
15 ppm Nitrate

1 - 7 of 7 Posts