Tropical Fish Keeping banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have 2 male swordtails and 1 male molly in my 20 gallon tall tank right now, and for a while they were getting along fine. The bigger swordtail (1/2 inch larger than the other) would follow around the smaller one, but nothing bad was happening. Yesterday me and my girlfriend noticed that the smaller swordtail was missing half of his sword! We assume it was the larger swordtail because the molly just does his own thing away from those 2. This morning we woke up to find that now 3/4 of his sword is missing, and his rear fins are nipped up pretty badly.

We want to know, what should we do? We don't have a 2nd tank to use to separate them, we only have a small bowl. Also, we don't know anyone else who keeps fish, and we really would honestly prefer not to rehome one anyway.

Also, is there a chance his sword and fin will grow back?

Thank you so much everyone.

·
Registered
5,201 Posts
Sorry to hear you’re having trouble. Yes, the sword should grow back. No, it might not grow back to it’s full length.

Unfortunately the problem is the stocking of the tank. You’ve got a dominant male and a submissive male, and no other fish in the tank to spread the aggression around. The answer to your problem is to keep the fish properly - 2:1 females to males. That opens up the issue of breeding in the tank, but it’ll solve the bullying problem.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
We decided to go ahead and buy a 10 gallon tank to put the aggressive guy in, and we also bought 4 Glowlight Danio's to add some additional fish to the 20 gallon tank. With our 20 gallon tank cycled, how can we add some of the bacteria to the filter for the smaller tank so it's ready for the aggressive swordtail as soon as possible?

·
Registered
5,201 Posts
Put some of the filter media from the cycled tank in the new tanks filter

1 - 4 of 4 Posts