Tropical Fish Keeping banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, My name is Bob, and I am a Grandfather with two little angels that spend a lot of time at my house. I am interested in starting a aquarium here for them. I need a lot of help as all of my previous attempts have ended in failure. I am looking forward to gleaning the wealth of information from here in order to be successful. Thank you in advance, now I will go get started!

·
Administrator
9,804 Posts
Hello Bob :wave:

Welcome to the forum. How exciting that you're going to start a tank for you grandkids! If you haven't read it already, here's a link to get you started on your cycle. It's a bit of a read but well worth it for success in keeping fish long term.

http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/...nners-guide-freshwater-aquarium-cycle-353074/

Any idea what size tank you'll be getting and what type of fish you'd like to have?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have not decided yet. I am leaning towards the new Aquafarm by Back to the Roots. Sold by Amazon and Petco. It is only 3 gallons but I'm intrigued by it because you use the water in the tank to supply nutrients to planting pots on top that can be seeded with grasses and herbs like basel. I know it will be a one fish tank because of the size but they also want to grow plants. I am leaning towards a Betta fish. If I have good luck with this one, then I will get a larger one down the line.

·
Registered
9,426 Posts
hi there and warm welcome to you and your grandchildren. :-D
i have 5 grandchildren right now,all of them love to watch the fish.
and i've spent long cuddles getting them off to sleep while
they watch the fish….not so much now as the eldest is 8 now lol

Reactions: Romad

·
Registered
124 Posts
Welcome,just let me say that your chances for success will increase with a larger tank . A 3 gallon tank lives little margin for error. For me,a 20 gallon long would be a better choice,more options,more stability and if you go low tech not that much more money.Good Luck

1 - 9 of 9 Posts