Tropical Fish Keeping banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Introducing my self with the name All Gods Creatures.
I am one of those animal lovers who has a 10, 45 and soon to set up 75 gallon tank. I think I got myself into a bit of trouble this morning. I went in for Anacharis
so the new and still coming babies from my 5 guppy females will have cover in the 10 gallon tank. Well.. next to the tank was a female Jack Dempsey Cichlid who was eating all her babies she just had. SO>> The guy gave me a couple of net swipe full of littlins for free. I know I just couldn't stand there and see the massacre
happen. Yes it was at pets mart, and the poor gal was in a barren tank....not good and stress eating her kids. So I just got home and signed on to this forum for help.
I have #2, 3 way breeders that I use ONLY for small plants that break off and start to root but are too small to plant. Since these babes are literally wee ones can I line one of these breeders with netting to use as a baby brooder till these babes get bigger. If I just put them in with the baby makers I am afraid they will get eaten.
The soon to be 75 tank will hold the following:
3 Celebes Halfbeaks
2 peppered Cory Cats
6 Boesemani Rainbows
2 Kribensis
6 Danio. I have the Halfbeaks and planned on buying the others later. So any help would be helpful!!!

·
Registered
840 Posts
Welcome to tfk!

I would reccommend a seperate tank for growing your newborns. A 10-20 gal is perfect. Densley planted with anacharis, a grow tank will protect your babies from hungry adults till they are too big to eat. I'm afraid that the net-style breeder boxes will not be the best for your fry because they should have plenty of room to swim and hide and more importantly, they will find tiny bits of plants and algea to eat in a designated fry tank. Frozen brine shrimp larvae are great food for growing guppies.

Good luck!

·
Registered
9,426 Posts
hello and warm welcome :-D

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you for the help,. I left the little JDs in the breeder overnite till some of the guppy moms were done. I have 2 left that are in the process of giving birth. I need to get some spirulina for them and then cichlid pellets to crush when older. They are 1/2 the size of the new guppies so I will bring up some substrate and some little plants
into the breeder cup for the next 1-2 days till the rest of the guppy moms are done.
How many can I keep in the planned 75 gallon tank with the rest of the fish I plan to purchase for that tank? or Do I need to rehome them when bigger?

·
Registered
840 Posts
Be careful with the kribs. Some are very peacful, but some are extremely, increadibly, ridiculously aggressive. Individuals vary in personality so there's no way to tell ahead of time till you get them in your tank.

To answer the question of how many jd can go in a 75, I would say just 1 if you have other fish. If two jd mate, they will kill all the other fish in the tank. And watch out for large male jd... they can be very aggressive and territorial. I have a large jd in a 75 gal with a small female convict cichlid and 3 pictus catfish. There is room for more fish, but I don't think the jd will accept any more tankmates...I'm amazed that he leaves the convict alone. He ( the jd) is large (6-7") and active, and at feeding time becomes very aggressive. He is an extremely impressive fish, but his attitude is a problem. I've tried severum, firemouth and jewel cichlid, but have had to return them all rather than let him kill them. Surprisingly, the pictus cats are just as aggressive when feeding as he is- they will even pull food out of his mouth if the piece of food is too big for him to engulf.
Other than the jd I think you have a very nice stocking list if you can get your kribs to behave. Arrange your tank so that there are lots of hiding places and blind spots and I doubt if you'll have any problems.
!
Good luck!

Attachments

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
If any babes make it to be juvenile I think I will find homes for them. I have the babes in a well planted 10 gallon with newborn guppies. So far so good. Thank you for the info on the Kribs. Hubby really liked the Kribs but I will re think getting them.I rather not deal with combative fish.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts