Tropical Fish Keeping banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys I have only just bought 6 neon tetras and one of them began swimming erratically and then went on his back. I removed him from the tank and tried to get some sort of response from him. NOTHING! the water was tested for all, nitrite,nitrate,ammonia,PH Everything!!! Only 2 days of having these little fish and one is possibly dead, I am just not sure!!! Help me please.

·
Registered
7 aquaria: live plants, shrimp, snails, celestial danios, white clouds, corys, ottos...
42 Posts
First, "It happens". Sometimes fish are injured in capture and transport, and it takes a few days to show. They can look OK in the fish store's tank, but carry injuries that are eventually fatal. Sometimes, the fish are fine when you look at them in the display tank, but store personnel sometimes injure fish during the netting and bagging process. Some fish stop eating due to stress.

How are the other fish behaving? If the rest of the fish are doing OK, it is a good chance you had an injured fish and the rest will be OK if everything else in their environment is good.

How about temperature? You discussed chemical parameters but didn't mention checking temperature. Mid 70s is good for Neon Tetras, much warmer or cooler will lead to problems.

On your chemical testing, did testing "everything" include checking for chlorine/chloramine products that are normally present in municipal water supplies? If you are on public water, you should always pre-treat your water with a product like "Prime" to help abate and remove dangerous anti-bacterial chemicals.

How about hiding places? Neons are shy, especially at first, and can stress out if they cannot find a secure area.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
First, "It happens". Sometimes fish are injured in capture and transport, and it takes a few days to show. They can look OK in the fish store's tank, but carry injuries that are eventually fatal. Sometimes, the fish are fine when you look at them in the display tank, but store personnel sometimes injure fish during the netting and bagging process. Some fish stop eating due to stress.

How are the other fish behaving? If the rest of the fish are doing OK, it is a good chance you had an injured fish and the rest will be OK if everything else in their environment is good.

How about temperature? You discussed chemical parameters but didn't mention checking temperature. Mid 70s is good for Neon Tetras, much warmer or cooler will lead to problems.

On your chemical testing, did testing "everything" include checking for chlorine/chloramine products that are normally present in municipal water supplies? If you are on public water, you should always pre-treat your water with a product like "Prime" to help abate and remove dangerous anti-bacterial chemicals.

How about hiding places? Neons are shy, especially at first, and can stress out if they cannot find a secure area.
Hi the others are fine unfortunately that one did die 😔 however the others play and eat as normal.x

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi the others are fine unfortunately that one did die 😔 however the others play and eat as normal. I have a heater and a thermometer in there too. I have de chlorinated the water and the water is fine.x

·
Registered
7 aquaria: live plants, shrimp, snails, celestial danios, white clouds, corys, ottos...
42 Posts
Sorry to hear you've lost one, but if the others are still OK, then he was probably injured somewhere along the way. It sounds like you're doing fine otherwise. Just keep a very close eye on the others and be prepared to act quickly if anything flares up.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts