Tropical Fish Keeping banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Found out that the substrate I'd been using was no longer sold by the company due to heavy metal contamination. It was in there about two months and I suffered heavy fish loss. After taking it out, all the fish started to look healthier and display normal behavior. I'm thinking that there is still contamination as a few of the fish who bounced back have died. I did a 95% water change when I took out the sand and a few days later did a 50% change. Used a conditioner that is supposed to remove heavy metals. Anything else I can do or should do? I'm afraid to start re-stocking my tank

·
Registered
5 Posts
Found out that the substrate I'd been using was no longer sold by the company due to heavy metal contamination. It was in there about two months and I suffered heavy fish loss. After taking it out, all the fish started to look healthier and display normal behavior. I'm thinking that there is still contamination as a few of the fish who bounced back have died. I did a 95% water change when I took out the sand and a few days later did a 50% change. Used a conditioner that is supposed to remove heavy metals. Anything else I can do or should do? I'm afraid to start re-stocking my tank
Probably, don't reuse the decorations. And change out activated carbon every week for a while to make sure all toxins are absorbed. Make sure the heater is not the source of toxins.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts