Tropical Fish Keeping banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
675 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So today i got my big shipment of stuff in the mail today, sand,salt,powerhead,test kit,hydro,heater. And i just reasized i messed up. I bout the jaguar 250 watt heater. But i dident relize the thing has a minimal and maximum water level on it, meening i cant submerge the top part of the heater. Now this would be fine exept the thing is 17 inches long any my tank is only 16 inches tall. I put the heater in the water and the water level is about and inch to low. I tried puting it at and angle to submerge the to the water line but it looks owful. So is it alright to have the water level an inch too low? Or can i fully submerge the thing sideways?

·
Registered
675 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Im not sure exactly what you said but its a eheim, and theres two water level lines, a minimal and a maximum. I put it in my tank and im running it rite now even though the water is not were its supposed to be. I have been feeling the part thats out of water and it doesent seem to be getting hot.

·
Registered
675 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ok i put the heater in at 1:00 and its now 5:25 and the water has just goten to 78 degrees, it was at 68 degrees when i started. That seems kinda slow to me. Does that seem slow to you? its a 250 watt heater.

·
Registered
1,645 Posts
Heaters are meant to work slowly, that is unless you have to large of one. Keep in ind that any type of quick change, be it heat, PH, lighting etc..., can ruin a tank in seconds.

The Jaeger, Eheim, heaters are excellent. Derek was pointing out that you can put the entire heater underwater with no ill effects, submersible like a submarine.

·
Banned
1,591 Posts
trreherd said:
Im not sure exactly what you said but its a eheim, and theres two water level lines, a minimal and a maximum. I put it in my tank and im running it rite now even though the water is not were its supposed to be. I have been feeling the part thats out of water and it doesent seem to be getting hot.

I have never seen submersible have min and max water lines on them.

·
Registered
675 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
yes and it says you cant submerge the thing all the way. I would like to run id sideways at the bottom of my tank but it says its not fullly submersable ''like a submarine'' lol

·
Registered
389 Posts
Ya mine says if it drops in then you have to turn the power off but every ones tanks i've seen just has them under the water anyways.

·
Registered
1,645 Posts
It says right there in the MD wording that it is fully submersible. Derek told you it was. I told you it was how many more people need to say that before the arguing ends?

Direct from, http://www.eheim.com/jager.htm Also known as EHEIM
N. America.

Features

* automatic dry run shut off
* fully sumersible
* Special Schott DURAN shatterproof glass
* heating function indicator
* precise temperature control
* temperature recalibration

Technical data 3601 3602 3603 3604 3605 3606 3607 3608 3609
Aq. size up to approx I 20-25 25-60 60-100 100-150 150-200 200-300 300-400 400-600 600-700
Performance W 25 50 75 100 125 150 200 250 300
Total Length mm 230 230 260 310 310 340 400 440 500
Diameter mm 24,5 24,5 24,5 24,5 24,5 24,5 24,5 24,5 24,5
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Please allow me to highlight it so we can continue arguing the finer points of this thread.

·
Registered
675 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
no, this is whay im talking about. If you look at the bottom of this paragraph you will see.

Jäger Temperature Sensor Automatic Heaters
* Low water level safety switch
* Superior materials and craftsmanship

The TS Automatic Aquarium Heaters by Jäger are produced with superior materials and expert craftmanship. Advanced sensor holds temperature steady! Features heavy-duty 2mm thick, shock-resistant Pyrex glass construction. Temperature adjustable from 64° to 90°F. Thermostat is accurate from ±0.5°. Six foot double insulated power cord and suction-cup attachment included. Submersible to water line on heater. Perfect for fresh or saltwater use.

This is the exact heater i bought.
http://www.drsfostersmith.com/Product/Prod_Display.cfm?pcatid=3858&N=2004+113767

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
usually if they say submersible on it than it is....if you want, compare it to another heater on looks and everything else. I have never seen a heater that says submersible and then say only to water line.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts