Tropical Fish Keeping banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
706 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just discovered all the fish in my 7 gallon hexagon aquarium, :cry: dead. At first I didn't realize how this could have happened but when I started removing the dead fish with the net I noticed the water was hot. Apparently the thermostat on my heater malfunctioned, and the heat just stayed on. The fish were fine last night, so this malfunction would have occurred sometime in the past 20 hours. How disturbing :cry: . It was 100 degrees F in the tank, just like a hot tub. :evil:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
13,248 Posts
Sorry to hear that.:blueworry:
What species of fish died? What is the brand of your heater?

It is scary when you hear stories of heaters malfunctioning and eventually cooking the fish.:blueshake: :blink:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,440 Posts
Blue said:
Sorry to hear that.:blueworry:
What species of fish died? What is the brand of your heater?

It is scary when you hear stories of heaters malfunctioning and eventually cooking the fish.:blueshake: :blink:
i no this things allways get me worried :roll:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
13,248 Posts
I'm more worried about heaters with dodgy brand names and often unusually very low price tags. A lot of people keep telling me that the heaters they used which were manufactured by China keep malfunctioning and eventually killed almost all fish in the tank. The lfs where I always buy my fish and equipments once warned me against choosing heaters with dodgy brand names particularly those with names originating from China. It was unfortunate that most of the fish that died were very expensive.

Mine is Sera. No problems with it. I just don't use it during summer days for precautionary measures even if I knew already that the heater will automatically switch off once the temperature is above or below the given temp on the thermostat.

Eheim is also a good option but I still haven't experience using it although some people did say it was good compared to those manufactured from China.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,440 Posts
i have a top fin it 27.00 bucks so i dont no if u call that cheap or not but ihas a ground wire and every thing in it :D 8) . what was the brand tracy?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,645 Posts
That Ebo Jager is the best. Of course it's made by Eheim. For truly expensive tanks it's best to buy a chiller controller for your heater. What? Why would I say that? Because they are more accurate and hardly fail. You set a probe it in the water and plug the heater into the body of the controller. you set the temp you want on the heater and then set it on the controller. the controller will only allow the heater to work when it says so. And also since the heater has another thermostat if ever the controller does not tell the heater to turn off, and provided the heater is not broken as well, the heater will automatically shut off. Double redundancy.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
706 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
joeshmoe said:
i have a top fin it 27.00 bucks so i dont no if u call that cheap or not but ihas a ground wire and every thing in it :D 8) . what was the brand tracy?
Joe, get rid of it![/i] It was a TopFin 25 watt (Top Fin is PetSmart's store brand, they own the company). It had been in use for less than 3 months.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
706 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Blue said:
Sorry to hear that.:blueworry:
What species of fish died? What is the brand of your heater?

I lost 3 platys and 2 cories. I think my snail may have survived (it doesn't smell dead).
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
750 Posts
Sorry to hear about it. Many people have issues with heaters so they use heater controllers such as the Otto heater controller or Jehcmo heater conrollers. Otto heater controllers were once offered at AngelsPlus for $15 (USD), but is no longer offered.

Fortunately for me, I have not had any problems with any of the heaters I have (knock on wood), which include Wonn Brothers Titanium heaters, ViaAqua Stainless Steel heaters, Hydor ETH inline heaters and a mix of some glass heaters.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,716 Posts
Ebo Jeager is surely the best, and one of the most expensive. If you want just as sturdy and a lot less money, try a brand named "AquaEl" for heaters. They're awesome, and the only brand I will buy anymore. They hold up as well in saltwater as in freshwater, and I have yet to have any problems with one after 4 yrs of running non stop. I have replaced all of my heaters with these over the past few yrs, and have not had any further heater problems since.
Very sorry to hear about your fish, Tracy.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
750 Posts
I actually use these in all my tanks...
and set them to alarm at +-5 degrees of my normal temp. That along with my ViaAqua stainless steel heater, Wonn Brothers titanium heaters, or Hydor ETH inline heaters, my temps are usually +-1 degrees.

As mentioned previously on my posts, allot of people use heater controllers for worries of failing or failed heaters.

I do not like using glass heaters and prefer stainless steel or titanium heaters or even Inline heaters, since the controllers are outside the tank and seem to be very accurate. I prefer NOT having the heater element inside the tank, since there is a chance a fish may accidently get burnt.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
706 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thank you to everyone for all your replies and kind words. In my 12 years of fishkeeping, this was the first time it had happened (and hopefully the last). I'm very thankful that it did not happen in my large community tank, or my cichlid tank, or, God forbid, to my African Elephant Nose. The fish I lost were not expensive fish, but I still feel awful about the horrible way they died. :cry:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,440 Posts
crazie.eddie said:
I actually use these in all my tanks...
and set them to alarm at +-5 degrees of my normal temp. That along with my ViaAqua stainless steel heater, Wonn Brothers titanium heaters, or Hydor ETH inline heaters, my temps are usually +-1 degrees.

As mentioned previously on my posts, allot of people use heater controllers for worries of failing or failed heaters.

I do not like using glass heaters and prefer stainless steel or titanium heaters or even Inline heaters, since the controllers are outside the tank and seem to be very accurate. I prefer NOT having the heater element inside the tank, since there is a chance a fish may accidently get burnt.
i asked for one of those moniters for christmas so mybe ill be ok
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
706 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
dprUsh83 said:
joeshmoe said:
ive always use topfin stuff and never had any problems
Same here....I'm going to keep an eye on mine after hearing this though :shock:
I did a Google search on Top Fin, and found a link that talked about heaters, and even there they mentioned that the Top Fin heaters are prone to malfunctioning :(

I would never buy another heater from Top Fin. I do use a lot of the Top
Fin products, but if a filter malfunctions I won't have dead fish in less than 24 hours and will be sure to notice that it is not working. Unfortunately, heaters are 'silent' and you don't know until notice the malfunction until you see dead fish and feel the hot water.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
13,248 Posts
Tracy said:
Unfortunately, heaters are 'silent' and you don't know until notice the malfunction until you see dead fish and feel the hot water.
That's one thing I hate about using heaters.:redmad: I had to check my heater all the time to ensure it's not malfunctioning otherwise it'll boil even my discus and rams to death.:blink:
Oh no!! Not my expensive fish.:blink:
 
1 - 20 of 40 Posts
Top