Tropical Fish Keeping banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
My future brother-in-law brought me a 30 gallon tank with 50 convict cichlids. It came with a basic filter that hangs on the inside of the tank. I just bought a Marineland C220 canister filter because I read that these are good to have and it might clear up the murky water. It's all set up and ready but I have no idea if I can prime this filter and turn it on while the fish are still in the tank. Do I have to take the fish out for a while so the filter can get going or can I just prime it and plug it in while the fish are in the tank? The instructions mentioned a conditioner but did not explain. I even watched the video but it didn't really say anything about the conditioner or if I could start this up with the fish in the tank.
Please help

Thanks,

--Dan

·
Registered
47 Posts
Yes, you can start the filter with fish in the tank, just be sure to follow all of the directions prior to start up. As far as the conditioner I am not sure what they are talking about. I have 4 canister filters and what I do is fill them up with the tank water after I clean them to help with the prime. Push your prime button twice and it will make a little noise until all of the air is out of the filter and all should be just fine. My other advise is if the HOB filter has already been in the tank and it has been cycled I would advise leaving that filter in the tank for about 6 weeks/with the canister filter so it will also help the new canister filter cycle. As far as 50 Cichlids in a 30 gal! I would not recommend! Good luck

1 - 2 of 2 Posts