Tropical Fish Keeping banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am considering a DIY brine shrimp hatchery. The store bought one is a complete bust and is only a way for the company to make my money part with my wallet. There are too many eggs in the little packets and I will never yield that many BBS. I think a DIY hatchery made from 20oz bottles will be cheaper and have a higher yield when I get my hands on a container of shrimp eggs.

Form those experienced aquarists, can I use API aquarium salt to make the saltwater for hatching?

·
Registered
690 Posts
Sure it will work, but it's a bit on the expensive end. Look at the grocery store for kosher or pickling salt, it's much cheaper. Way cheap is a 50 pound sack of livestock salt, around $6 at farm supply outfits.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I needed it in an emergency. I do have a carton of aquarium salt that I bought a long time ago so using a bit of it right now isn't a huge concern. Thank you for the response. Hopefully, the eggs will hatch.

When I feed the BBS to fry, should I filter them out of the saltwater and rinse them or can I just retrieve the BBS and feed them to my fry?

·
Registered
690 Posts
I rubber band a coffee filter to a plastic cup, squirt in the bbs & give it a quick rinse with tap water. I know plenty of people who just squirt it in salt & all. It's more personal preference, a bbs hatchery can build up bacteria, I don't feel comfortable with this getting in tanks. Many folks will keep a hatchery running with the same water for days on end, I change mine daily, and add a couple drops of bleach when I load it up.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts