Tropical Fish Keeping banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This past weekend I was in the shop and finally decided to make a nice betta bowl. I had made a few before but they weren't as elegant. I wanted to make this one look really nice.

What I came up with was a 2 gallon betta bowl featured in this video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1_JWFzyb2Vg

The idea is to make a few smaller and larger ones, experiment with color and see which ones are the best...and why! Let me know what you all think.

·
Registered
113 Posts
I really like that as a bowl but not as a tank. Keeping a betta in a bowl is extremely dangerous to it's health because you can't have a filter or heater and the betta may jump out. It is extremely beautiful though and I hope you make more but maybe not as a place for a fish to live

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
I really like that as a bowl but not as a tank. Keeping a betta in a bowl is extremely dangerous to it's health because you can't have a filter or heater and the betta may jump out. It is extremely beautiful though and I hope you make more but maybe not as a place for a fish to live
Yes, for your average aquarist. This betta's bowl has a top, plants on top, and the room is heated for multiple tanks. ;) Daily water changes and good maintenance keeps a Betta happy.

·
Registered
113 Posts
That's a very fancy bowl! I definitely agree this isn't for the beginner but if you are up for the water changes I think it is nice

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
That's a very fancy bowl! I definitely agree this isn't for the beginner but if you are up for the water changes I think it is nice
You can say that again. I had moss at the bottom and had to take it out because it was collecting to much waste. Bare bottom does it have it's advantages.

You can actually fit a heater in this bowl quite easily, too, if you needed to. It's quite large. This is among the smaller ones I've made. I'm trying to get into the 8-10 gallon size custom made bowls but I haven't taken the time to make those yet. Then I can have a really elaborate shrimp bowl.

·
Registered
113 Posts
I really like the idea of plants on top with a lid! How does that work? Like is a pot of fake ones glued on?

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I really like the idea of plants on top with a lid! How does that work? Like is a pot of fake ones glued on?
On this one, I have glass I cut out that just sits on top. Eventually, I'm going to do this though (Image from google):

Plastic lid with a hole in it and then you punch the roots through. I always add an extra hole (the ones I use are flat plastic like clear gutter lids) to make it easier to feed so I don't have to take it off. Then it all easily just comes off when you need to change the water.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Let me know if you are ever going to sell one, I might be interested :)

Reactions: Termato
1 - 10 of 10 Posts