Tropical Fish Keeping banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought 6 Purple Harlequin Rasboras and they were all doing great when I first got them in the tank with my boyfriends Black Kuhli Loaches. All of a sudden one starts acting funny and turning upside down and acting as if maybe its swim bladder wasn't okay. Then another one does the same thing and passes away soon after. Then the first one passes away. Then today another one did the exact same thing. My last three are acting perfectly fine. The Black Kuhli Loaches are perfectly fine as well.

·
Registered
113 Posts
I'm sorry about your fish.

What is your tank like, and how long has it been setup?
Can you check the Ammonia, Nitrites, and Nitrate of the water with a test kit?

If you added all 6 at once, it is possible that the suddenly larger amount of waste in the tank was more than your beneficial bacteria in the filter that break down waste could handle. In that case, the fish could have been essentially poisoned by their own waste, and you would see elevated levels of Ammonia or Nitrite when you test them. When that happens in an established tank, it's called a mini cycle. For this reason, it is best to only add 2-3 fish at a time, wait a couple days, and then add 2-3 more and so on so your tank can gradually build up to handle the higher fish load.

If you didn't acclimate the fish carefully to the new aquarium water, they could also have died from shock from sudden changes in temperature or water parameters as compared with what they were used to at the store.

They could also have been sick at the store already, and you are just seeing them die from an illness they already had.

If you add more details we can try and figure out how they died and how to prevent the others from dying as well.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The rest of my fish are perfectly fine. The only thing wrong with my Rasboras is their tails and fins were attacked.

·
Registered
66 Posts
As I'm always saying, use Bio-Spira. It IS beneficial bacteria. I add it every time I add fish and I sometimes add 10 or 20 fish at a time.

Now about Rasboras, that's a species that just doesn't work for me. Suppose I buy 20 fish and six are Rasboras. They end up dead and the other 14 are fine.

It's the same thing with Neon Tetras. I have always thought that they have been bred to death. Just too much inbreeding.

Speaking of inbreeding, I have five Red Wags in one of my aquariums that I took out of my nursery tank. Two females are bulging. Should I put those in the nursery and end up with a bigger chance of genetic problems?

And this all reminds me of something that I wrote in another thread. I bought 5 or 6 Gold Platys and added them to a tank where Red Wags and many other fish are doing very well. The Gold all died. Why?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts