Hair algae back in full force!

3K views 27 replies 5 participants last post by  sprmankalel 
#1 ·
Quick stats

50 gallon
5 Angels
8 Black Neon Tetras
3 Albino Corys
5 Otocinclus (one turned up that I thought was dead)
1 Columbian Shark

Flourite substrate
6 Flourish Tabs
FlorinMulti
Stopped dosing Excel about 1-2 weeks ago
Stopped dosing Iron about a week ago

On the 13th I did a 50% water change I dosed with 5ml FlorinMulti (non since) and today I used 5ml FlorinAxis.

While using the Excel this stuff was gone. I mean eradicated. I was dosing Excel at 5ml daily. I noticed that some of my stem plants were melting from the bottom up. I stopped dosing and these plants are stronger but this stuff is back in full force.

I bought a phosphate test because I read that too much phosphate was a contributing factor. So I was curious.

My current readings:

pH 7
Ammonia 0
NitrIte 0
NitrAte 10
Phosphate 0

Lights T5HO
6700k 39w
10,000k 39w
On a timer for 12 hours

Feed every other day. I watch that not much goes down. Every 3 or 4 days I feed 1 Aqueon Bottom Feeder Tablet but less flakes. Once a week I feed freeze dried bloodworms.

Water changes are every 7-10 days.

What am I doing that is allowing this stuff to be in my tank? I am sure that a co2 injection will be advised but I will not be buying an expensive system. I am not working and will not be allowed to spend that kind of money. I know DIY is hard for big tanks but do I really need to go full force with it? Considering that I set up a 10 gallon tank to house my betta using some of the clippings from the big tank I now have this stuff in there too. Not as much as the 50 gallon but it's still there.

There are pictures here http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-planted-aquarium/make-go-away-376714/
I am begging for input.

See less See more
#2 ·
Your light is on for too long 12 hours is way too much turn it down to 8 hours as for the c02 buy a 2 litre bottle fill 1\4 with sugar add a tea spoon of bi-carbonate sodium and then add Luke warm water to 3/4 full. Buy a Co2 Stone and pipe connect the pipe to the stone then put a hole in the bottle cap for the pipe to go through glue around the hole and you have yourself your very own Co2 dispenser :) just give it a little shake every month until it stops releasing gas and then replace ingredients inside.

#3 ·
+1 on the diy co2. My method is 2l bottle, 2 cups of sugar, than fill it with warm water, and 1 tea spoon of yeast. I replace it every week 2 keep a constant flow. Also u could get 3 siamese algae eaters (the true ones), they will eat all the algae.
Posted via Mobile Device

#4 ·
The DIY co2 will be done. I'm going to scale the lights back. Bad thing is we are leaving for a 3 week trip to Europe. I had sometime coming in to feed and dose fertilizer. I'll set up co2 when I get back. When I do do I want it to run 24-7 or am I going to have to take it off at night?
Posted via Mobile Device

#6 ·
Today I made my DIY co2. It has been roughly 5 hours since I set it up and I haven't seen any bubbles. I took a 2L bottle and used 2 cups of sugar with a 1/2 tsp of yeast. I have the 2L airlined to a 16.9oz then the small one into the tank. Before adding the yeast to the 2L I took some lukewarm water (about 90 degrees) and mixed it up and let it sit about 10 minutes. I got so excited about setting it up that in one I mixed the sugar all the way but in the other I didn't. Hoping in the morning I will see some bubbles.

#7 ·
Let it overnight. No bubbles coming into tank. I took off the small bottle and will be going directly from the 2L with mixture into tank. I do have a check valve on it. I am thinking that the small bottle might not have been airtight as when I pulled the tubing out there was no force needed. I did silicone the tubes all around. I am allowing the silicone to dry for a few hours on the 2L bottles before remaking solution. Hopefully this will work.

Will pH drop have a negative effect on fish? I am thinking that it won't drop that quickly.

#8 ·
Silicone must be cured for few days, not just hours...I am pretty sure that CO2 is leaking there.
If all connections are properly sealed, the bottle (yeast and sugar) sholuld be firm (like a full, unopened Pepsi bottle). If its soft when squeezed, other than a leak, you can have a dead yeast.
What is your diffuser?

#12 ·
The green bottle is a bit too full.
Try to squeeze (very gentle) the other bottle, while watching the airstone. See if it translates into bubbles. Will give you an idea if the CO2 is escaping along the way. Carefully when you release the squeeze, water from the tank might come into the yeast bottle.
I did DIY CO2 a while back. Drill several bottle lids, the diameter just a bit smaller than the airline. I had to dip the airline in hot water (to soften it) and pass it thru the hole. Applied aquarium silicon around the tube, on both sides of the lid. Let it cure for at least one day. Very gentle when you screw in the lid on the bottle. I used a ceramic disc (need quite a bit of pressure) but got bubbles 3-4 hours later. I find that no matter how careful I was, the silicone breaks (un-stick) from plastic after few uses. What's worse: you have to start with new drilled lids, new airline because new silicone does not work on old silicone.

#15 ·
I took the green bottle and put crazy glue around the air line after I drilled a small hole in a new cap. I started getting bubbles. So there actually was a leak. I siliconed it on the top and bottom of the cap. Now I have a steady stream of very teeny tiny bubbles. I will let it dry and put more on tomorrow. The clear bottle is a different story. The lid on that is not the one that came on it and I didn't know that when you tighten it it doesn't stop. It will continue to turn. I will be replacing that bottle.

#18 ·
don't think that's possible but I've have DIY CO2 down to a science. get rid of all that glue and tape. drill a 3/16" hole in the bottle top as straight as possible. feed 100% silicone tubing through the hole. the tubing must be cut on a 45 degree angle at the tip for ease of threading. the seal will be tight for months to come. once every 6 months create a new seal by extending the tube and cut to desired length. never had a leak in years. make a bubble counter add a check valve and grind the bubbles up into a thousand pieces using an inexpensive in tank filter. its all on u tube for more details.

#19 · (Edited)
I think I will put a bubble counter and check valve back on. I think the whole thing was that it was leaky. I got rid of the tape and I currently have the airline into the bottle cap and it is siliconed to the hilt. I am getting bubbles but am not sure if I can get more but something is better than nothing. They're steady and tiny and don't make it to the water's surface. They seem to pop or enter the filter intake prior to reechoing the top. My problem was that I am impatient and I made the holes with scissors instead of a drill. This probably would have been ok if I waited for the silicone to dry but I didn't. Then I taped it all up which I learned didn't help. I took the tape off and pulled out the drill. Not sure which size I used. I think it was 3/16. It was a smaller hole but I was still leaking. I caked silicone on there and saw bubbles start coming out. I am debating on a 16oz bottle as a bubble counter or the syringe. Only thing is I use the syringe and it doesn't work then the check valve is glued in and therefore a waste. I may just drill 2 new caps for the smaller bottles and silicone them and wait 24 hours for them to dry before assembling.

#22 ·
I have cut my lights back to 8 hours about 4 weeks ago. We were away in Europe for 3 weeks so I had someone coming and fertilizing the tank. I did a 50% water change 6-12 and haven't added any frets since. I want to see how it goes with co2 and root tabs.

There is a store not far from me that hooked me up with a piece of lime wood that I can attach like an air stone. I took it off because I thought it required more pressure than was being generated. Then I found out that it was leaking. So I am going to try to put that on again. Eventually.

#26 ·
Update: A few days ago I tried to make a bubble counter with a 16oz bottle. I followed j_dizzel's instructions by drilling the 3/16 holes. I fed the co2 bottle to the 16oz with the tubing all the way down to the bottom. I took a tube and led that out of the 16oz bottle then installed a check valve and led this to an air stone into the tank. After an hour I saw no bubbles coming out of the air stone. I then tried going right from the co2 bottle with a check valve into the tank. I am thinking that there is not enough pressure to pass the co2 through the check valve. Now I am running directly from the co2 bottle to the tank. I changed my mixture to refresh it. I did this by using 104 degree water and 1/2tsp of yeast with a pinch of sugar. I mixed this and let it sit for about 10 minutes. Then I used 104 degree water and dissolved 2 cups of sugar then added the yeast. Still no bubbles so I activated another 1/2tsp of yeast. It seems that I get no bubbles unless I use 1tsp of yeast with 2 cups of sugar. I have seen my some of my stem plants grow more quickly. My rot alas have started getting thicker stems, bigger leaves and look absolutely great. Crypts look a little redder and are growing taller. Swords are greener and growing well. I have one melon sword that had no more than 3 leaves for the last year that has been growing like mad. I had not been adding fertilizer (except the root tabs that are in the gravel) and I noticed my hygros looking a little lame. On Saturday (6-12-2014) I added 5ml of FlorinMulti and 5ml FlorinAxis. I noticed that the staghorn algae is not taking over and is easier to remove though not all gone yet. It has been only 11 or 12 days since I added the co2. I am seeing a difference though and that makes me glad.

I keep removing this white slimy stuff from the air stone every 2-3 days. What is it? Is it harmful to my tank? Any way to prevent it?

#27 ·
Make sure the check valve is in the correct direction. It should not obstruct CO2.
I don't know what the slimy white stuff is, but the "bubble counter" should take care of it.

I see you're going to get pressurized. Soon. That's how it starts: you like what CO2 does to your plants but get frustrated over the yeast mix.

#28 ·
I had a hard time talking my husband into a second tank. It is only 10 gallons but when I proved to him I could acquire the tank for nothing and that it wouldn't take up more space he couldn't refuse. LoL!! Though I do love the effects I have seen thus far, I don't know that I'll be going pressurized any time soon.

Before putting the check valve on I blew into it to make sure that I was putting it on correctly. I think maybe the issue is that I am not using the original cap with the bottle. I thought that they were pretty standard but when I put it on and tighten it it seems to keep turning and doesn't stop. Easy fix as my family always has 2 liter bottles. I just some from their recycling. I am not done with my DIY yet. It has been less than 2 weeks and I am far from defeated. The mix recipe is the same. I am not ready to give up on that either.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.