Tropical Fish Keeping banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I Have 6 Africans in a 30 high tank, Had been doing well for over 1 year, but for some reason 1 or 2 of them started ganging up on a small yellow one, I noticed they had ripped his tail fin to shreds !

So, I pulled him out, put him in a small 2 gallon octogan tank, and tossed in an antibiotic. He seems to be fine, but once his tail grows back should I just keep him in the small tank? If I put him back in the 30 they might end up killing him.......

·
Registered
5,139 Posts
I Have 6 Africans in a 30 high tank, Had been doing well for over 1 year, but for some reason 1 or 2 of them started ganging up on a small yellow one, I noticed they had ripped his tail fin to shreds !

So, I pulled him out, put him in a small 2 gallon octogan tank, and tossed in an antibiotic. He seems to be fine, but once his tail grows back should I just keep him in the small tank? If I put him back in the 30 they might end up killing him.......
I would try and find new home for the fish in something larger than 2 gal.
Is doubtful the other's will leave him /her be should you return the fish to the 30 gal.
In larger tank ,they might but six cichlid's in 30 gal is a bit tight considering territorial need's of the species.

Reactions: ZivaD

·
Registered
178 Posts
What specific species is it you have? There are a LOT of fish that fall under the collective "Aftrican" term you hear tossed around when it comes to aquarium fish. Knowing what you have will have quite a bit to do with the advice you are given.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts