Tropical Fish Keeping banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Nitrite is 0, Ammonia is .5. Should I do a water change?
The other shrimp in the tank seem to be ok. I got these last Friday, and I would expect the deceased was not of old age.
pH is between 6.8 and 7. Nitrates are about 15 ppm (too dark for 10; too light for 20).

·
Registered
1,764 Posts
I would encourage to do so, shrimp are a lot more sensitive to water conditions than other organisms (like fish). At the same time its important to note why you're having the ammonia spike in the first place.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. I did 10%.

I can change out as much as you advise. I just didn't want to change too much. The remaining 4 that I have counted are showing no ill signs.
Would you still do additional changes? This is a 5 gallon hex. I could do 50% tomorrow as well.
I would encourage to do so, shrimp are a lot more sensitive to water conditions than other organisms (like fish). At the same time its important to note why you're having the ammonia spike in the first place.

·
Registered
1,764 Posts
I can change out as much as you advise. I just didn't want to change too much. The remaining 4 that I have counted are showing no ill signs.
Would you still do additional changes? This is a 5 gallon hex. I could do 50% tomorrow as well.
If the ammonia doesnt drop, yes I personally would regardless of the use of prime and whatnot.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Looks like it was a brief spike.

An ammonia test this morning was as close to pure yellow as I can tell. It is between 0 and .25 at most right now. Since I still have 4 bouncing around, I'll just keep a close eye on that tank.
If the ammonia doesnt drop, yes I personally would regardless of the use of prime and whatnot.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
48 hours later and I just counted 4 at the same time again. I'll continue to do daily 10% changes and monitor for a while, but the remaining ones seem very healthy and active. I have one female that is really bright red, and I think another that may have been the one that molted, so I'm very hopeful.
I got my Fluval shrimp supplement, and they do seem to like it.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I found another one dead this morning, while the remaining two are active, bright red, and seemingly with no problems. I did tests on everything.
Nitrites = 0
Nitrates =20
Ammonia =<.25
pH = 7.2
DH = 3
KH = 5
These numbers have been steady for a few weeks since it went up half a ppm on the 1st.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I was down to my last one, so I got another 6 at Petco. These seem to be much livelier and bright red. It may be that a couple days in a dark box (my initial batch) stressed them so they were not vigorous. After adding the new batch, I was able to count seven.
Two of the new six are females already carrying eggs. One green, one clear. I'm pretty optimistic.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So, several days later, all good news. I have seen at least six at once, and maybe the seventh one, but I feel like it has turned the corner. The inhabitants are very active, and I have sparingly given them a few Fluvial pellets (about 1 each) and boiled lettuce. They ganged up on the lettuce. I'm going to get some zucchini.
I wondered how hard this could be after seeing webpages everywhere saying they were hardy and easy. I think my first ones were stressed, and it caught up with them in my tank.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
After the dust settled, I was able to only see five at one time. I believe I had one from the original batch, plus four of the new ones. When I was at Petco, they put me on a list for amanos. I got two, and all seven are still looking good.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
It has been a few weeks since I found a dead soldier. I originally had six, and then got six more when it appeared I was down to one. One more died a few weeks after the second group arrived. About half of them were berried. I counted six the other day, and today, I counted four juveniles. They seem to be very healthy, and one of them is approaching a half inch long. The Amano shrimp are still doing fine. One of them molted, I believe. I never did anything different, except kept planting.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts