Tropical Fish Keeping banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got 2 guppies a few days ago. They both seemed completely normal when I got them. They are in a 10 gallon tank and their only tankmates are 2 dwarf crayfish (I put the crayfish in there about a week and a half before the guppies). I performed a partial water change yesterday as part of my normal tank cleaning routine, and both were fine. I fed them flakes several hours after the cleaning and they both ate. They seemed fine when I went to bed last night. Suddenly, this morning, I woke up to find that one of them (the dark blue one in the picture) had fallen ill.

He is swimming with a tilt and there is a long, clear, stringy poop hanging out of him. The scales on his head and belly are discolored (they are normally dark blue like the rest of his body, now they are white), and his gills seem a bit red. He had none of these symptoms last night. I just tested for ammonia and the result was 0, plus the other guppy and the crayfish seem normal AND I just cleaned them yesterday, so I don't think it's a water quality issue. While the tank is "new" in the sense that I've only recently been adding animals to it, the tank previously had other fish (tetras and shrimp) in it (none of whom seemed to have health issues) and I kept most of the ornaments and filter media submerged in the old tank water while it was in limbo, and I've only been adding a small number of animals at a time (and testing water quality before adding each new round of animals), so I would also be a bit surprised if this was a crazy cycling issue.

I'm going to try to link a video of the sick guppy swimming. Let me know if it doesn't work:sick guppy.mov

I've kept fish before, but I don't have much experience diagnosing and treating illnesses, so I would appreciate any input to determine what is wrong with my guppy and how I can help him.

·
Registered
I have two tanks, one is cycling and one is a 5 gal (Soon to be upgraded)
282 Posts
Add a tiny bit of Marine/ Aquarium salt. He possibly had dropsy so feed him a lot. If it gets worse separate him into a quarantine container.

·
Registered
3 Posts
What have you been feeding him?
Have you been putting anything else into the water?
Adding real plants might help improve the water quality

1 - 3 of 3 Posts