Tropical Fish Keeping banner

21 - 40 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #21 (Edited)
Here we go - got it all to work, system's charged... now I can turn a handle and change the water out in both tanks. Just need to pick up a couple of garlic cloves to use as netting over the tube ends, and call it good. Great Success!!

image (1).jpg

image (2).jpg

image (3).jpg

image (4).jpg

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Oh no! I'd eat the garlic cloves. But here in the US, the netting they use to sell them is very fine, and I can put it around the CPVC to prevent fry from getting pulled out of the tank. Tried the device out to do a 30% water change on both tanks. I'd still be draining water in the second tank by now, and I've been finished for about 10 minutes. So... 10 dollars invested, time gained. #worth.

I lost another female today, before I started my water change. I had just checked on her about an hour earlier and she was fine... I think she may have been close to giving birth, and the filter pinned her. Very frustrating. I am having a hard time telling when they're within 24 hours of dropping fry so that I can isolate and protect them. Experience will be my best tool for now.

Oh! flakes are good, Bilbo, but they also take peas. just squeeze it out of it's shell, and discard the shell. Guppies are omnivorous.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
So got up from a nap with me and the pup at about 5, and saw a couple of fry in the community tank. Scooped 'em up and got them to the fry tank no problem. 7 in total. One of the females I had been debating on moving over to a breeding net, I think, started dropping, and I'm hoping she's not finished. I got her moved over now, and only time will tell if I caught her in time, or if I got the right one. Either way though, 7 more fry! So far in the fry tank, I've been feeding pulverized flakes at morning a pea in the afternoon, and more pulverized flakes at night. Don't have a BBS setup, so I'm doing what I can with what I got, making sure they get protein and veggies to handle their omnivorous diet.

Also! I found a Michigan Pet store, which rumor has it, DEFINITELY will allow trade-ins for store credit! This is good, means that I can continue my hobby with some justification to the Warden of the household. ;)

So all in all... great day for my tanks.

Tomorrow, I'm setting up another 10 gallon tank so I can split my adult population, as of right now i'm a little overstocked, because to be honest, I expected to lose a couple of the fish I picked up in the past 2 days. So far, no losses besides the 2 to columnaris, and the 1 older female to the filter... My goal is to keep 3 males, and 6 females in the primary tank, so I can be somewhat selective in my breeding. The rest will go to the new tank, and whenever we get overstocked, we'll just trade stock in. Also gives me in-house fish to replace my breeding stock with. It's not the perfect setup, but it's definitely in the right direction to where I want to go!

·
Registered
67 Posts
Interestic stuff as always Rocky, what do you use to feed the fry ? I read above that you pulverise flakes which is the staple food I would think, but I remember years ago when I had a few Gourami breeding successes that newly hatched brine shrimp was an easy thing to produce---coffee jar, salty water, pinch of brine shrimp eggs ( very inexpensive ) and a day or so later thousand of tiny shrimps in the jar---the baby shrimp move towards any light, so shine a torch against the jar just at the water surfaceand the shrimp mass there, suck a bunch up with an eye dropper and drop them into the fry tank. Im sure you know this stuff already, but its good to have a live treat for the young uns now and then. Good luck Rocky.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
I definitely plan to get there soon. I think it's what's "Missing" in their diet. Right now though, I need to land another job so I can justify another DIY project to the warden of the house. :p

So right now, the feeding schedule is as follows.
Wake up: Pulverized flakes
About noon: I squeeze the contents of a pea out, (Standard canned peas), and drop that in the center. It's soft enough the fry can take bites off of it, and they really, really love it. About an hour later, I'll remove the remaining pea.
Around 4: Another pea.
Before bed-time: Pulverized flakes.

I try to keep it mixed up, so that they get a rounded diet, and ever since I've introduced the peas into their diet, their growth rate has exploded.

Additionally for fry health, I'll be doing 20-25% water changes every day. Try to keep the nitrites low so I don't stunt their growth. Honestly, I'm lucky the 7 day old fry aren't eating the 1 day old fry. the difference in size is close enough to make me nervous. At this rate, 2 weeks is all it will take to move fry back into adult tank.

Also, later today we're setting up that secondary tank! Going with blue gravel, tetra whisper 10i filter, 100w tetra heater, and a 10g tank. very basic, so we'll probably drop some decorations in there. This tank isn't meant to be as 'serious' as the other two are going to become, so if it's difficult to maintain, fine. I don't foresee any problems though, besides the fact that my roommate has decided he's not going to do a fishless cycle.

Actually. I should use the water from today's water change in there. just did a water change yesterday, so the water quality should still be great.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Great job! I finally gave in and bought 2 female guppies. Got them in the hospital tank, going to wait at least two weeks before adding to the main tank. Things are looking great in my main tank now that I treated it heavily for internal parasites. Also have added extra live bacteria (the good kind) and often clean the gravel. I am now back to being excited about my fish. Actually found a new born Molly baby in the main tank! First time in over 6 months.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Congrats intellyn, guppies are amazing ( mollies too are never boring). Hey Rocky, I was watching some Guppy stuff on YouTube and it seems we have the Russians to thank for developing many of the strains we now regard as show standards. Yes, guppies were big business in Russia before the rest of us took an interest. I will be buying a couple of Guppies this weekend to kick of the bacteria cycle thing in my filter, hope they have a nice strain in stock. The video I watched also confirmed your method of feeding fry with mashed pea, only in the vid it suggested mashing up a pea in with a small amount of flake. Anyway Good luck Rocky, Long Live Guppies.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
I like that idea, Bilbo, I'm going to go ahead and try it!

So I've not had internet for awhile, so that's why there haven't been any new updates. But I'm back, and the guppies (For the most part) are doing fine.

3 of them though, 1 male (The blue) and 2 females look like they have dropsy. They're getting around and behaving fine, but they're definitely bloated, one so much that she's pine coning... which from what I've read, is a death sentence. But my rule is, I always give life a chance. I've moved those three to a small hospital tank and began Melafix treatment yesterday, and started treating the main tank with Melafix as well.

Doesn't look like I have anyone due for pregnancy... some that I thought were due regressed, most likely due to the stress of the huge tank move. They love it, but I can't pretend something like that doesn't stress them out. If that's the case, then that's fine, because it means that they are more likely to batch from my current males instead of mystery dads.

Also changing the Cull tank over to a 10 gallon today, like I talked about before. got some nice blue gravel, and going to be using my spare heater, and the tetra whisper 10i for it. Later I'll get some flat decos, and add more gravel so my crawfish can burrow and basically be a substrate menace :p

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
So I thought I would be seeing some color in my eldest fry by now, but so far they look very plain and grey. I'd have to check back on my posts for exact dates, but they should be about 2 weeks old by now, yeah? I figure I should consider culling the ones who aren't showing color after about 2 more weeks, since that's about the time they should be nearly 'full color'.

I'll have to watch them closely... as I don't know who the dads were (They're from store bought pregnant fish) it's a complete gamble what the fry will look like.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
So I did another 20% water change today; I swear the fish are starting to recognize me, and love it whenever i come to work on the tanks, because I give them a treat, freshen up their water, and generally spend time with them. Those I've had to net before, don't even seem to resist the netting as much. Hashtag Fishytrust.

When doing my water change, I found a fry in my artificial clump. Not sure if he was left over from the last batch, or if he made his way through the water system and changed tanks. Either way, got him netted up and moved to the fry tank. He looks about a week old.

Also one of the females I just bought seems to be having troubles. My quarantine tank was full, so she went into population early. Her symptoms look a lot like a male I recently lost... lethargic, staying near the bottom, but otherwise responsive. She's still even eating, and shows no signs of fin clamping... her pregnancy appears to have regressed though. Maybe it's the Melafix treatments.

Speaking of Melafix treatments... the female and male who were still surviving quarantine got moved back today. The small hospital tank was difficult to keep water quality good in on my busy schedule, and I've seen no signs of any more symptoms in 48 hours.

Otherwise, everyone is eating, everyone looks good, maybe now we can get the breeding back on track! Only 2 of my females are currently pregnant, which means these problems have resulted in over 4 lost drops :( I did notice that my tank quality improved immediately after putting my foot down with my roommate after catching him sticking his hands in the tank after work... he works with oil refrigerant and other chemicals. Claims he washes his hands, but I just don't trust it, or his sense of hygiene. Not trying to be mean, but c'mon. I live with him. I know just how clean he is, or isn't. Now he's only allowed to feed clean and touch the cull tank, which has been moved into his room. It's actually a pretty lovely setup, I have to admit I have a small sense of jealousy! I'm getting tired of my muti-colored gravel... i'm wishing I hadn't planted in it, because I'd like to change it. Not sure what to do there... maybe sense guppies don't mess with the gravel much, I'll just thin most of it out and add a layer on top. Hmm...

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
So I know it's been some days since my last post, just been busy with life.

I finally made it to Pruess Pets lastnight... and WOW. I met with the owner, he gave me a tour of the whole place. They breed their own fish, all fish get a 7 day quarantine before hitting the floor to be sold... many tanks where ANY possible symptoms were noticed were flagged for observation, with a notification that fish from that tank would NOT be sold.

After hearing I was a breeder, the owner let me purchase fish from his breeding stock, since the guppy tank they had on the floor was flagged for observation... and holy cow. I had never seen so many happy, healthy fish in my life! Every tank was very clean. During my 4 hours there, I saw only 1 dead fish in a tank, and it was being removed. The pets ARE a bit pricey, but the level of care they put into their aquariums, I'll GLADLY pay that price and NEVER complain!

So I picked up two trios... the males look like I could show them at an event, and the females are an EASY 3 INCHES LONG. Had I seen them at any other pet venue, I would've argued that they're part molly. One of them is so pregnant, she looks like she swallowed a full sized grape. My 3-compartment breeder isn't big enough for her so I had to take the divider out. I'll be sure to get some pictures today!!

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
Went shopping again yesterday, and plan on going back to Pruess Pets tomorrow. My roommate brought home what she thought was a kind of discus that she got for free, ended up being a Blue Gourami! Really a beautiful fish, but her little 2.5g betta tank isn't nearly enough for the guy... so I did some tank rearranging.

Guppy Adult Tank: 10g, No changes. It still sits with multicolored gravel, a couple live plants, 4 m fancy guppies, 6 f fancy guppies, 4 Ghost shrimp, HOB Filter and a 100w heater

Guppy Fry Tank (Now Juvenile Tank): 10g, Swapped out the 2 50w heaters for a single 100w heater. Due to a massive birthing by one of my new females (70+ Fry) it was simply too overstocked to filter with 2 Whisper 3i filters. Swapped them both with a single Whisper 10i. Barebottom, with 3 ghost shrimp to aid in waste disposal. Tank being reassigned as 'Juvenile Tank'.

New Guppy Fry Tank: 5g. Using my marineland 50w heater, bare-bottom and 2x whisper 3i filters, this tank will be used strictly for new birthings. Fry will be placed here, held for 7 days and then moved to Juvenile tank.

Betta Tank (Ghost Shrimp Breeding Tank): 2.5g, Currently holding the Gourami, and approx 8 ghost shrimp, uses a HOB style filter, except it's mounted in the hood. Barebottom with a couple decorations to give the ghost shrimp something to hold on to, as well as seed the water. After my roommates Betta died, tank was re-purposed for the idea of possibly breeding ghost shrimp.

Cull Tank: 10g, has a Whisper 10i filter, 5lb gravel, barrel decoration, and 100w heater. Houses the fancy guppies that were overstocking my adult tank, a few feeder guppies from when we were testing different tank setups and didn't want to spend cash on fancies, and a crawfish who acts as our all-green fish disposal. The Cull Tank used to be a .5g fish bowl. The crawfish appreciates the upgrade.

New Gourami Tank: 10g, Whisper 10i filter, 100w heater, Java fern, 10lbs gravel. Currently doing a fishless cycle. Used the old filter from the Cull tank to help seed the cycle, wanting to get it rolling asap so we can give the Gourami more space.

I might have to follow War's example, and build me a shelving unit. that's 6 tanks set up, and I'm thinking of getting more to keep batches of fry seperate As a side note, my fry are finally showing some color... the most advanced is showing a yellow tail and dorsal with black spots, looks like it will be a female, and she has a twin who's developing just a little bit behind her. Another fry started getting real dark from the dorsal back, looks like it will be a H/B variant of some kind... I can't wait! No idea who the fathers are, as all the fry I have now are from pre-purchase pregnancies. My tanks are only just now stable enough for me to track fathers. As soon as my juveniles start to reach adulthood, I'd like to sell them for $1 a piece, or a trio for $2.50 (+S&H). I've got no problem maintaining these prices until I've worked out a specific strain. But for mix-and-match Fancies? I don't want to get rich, I just want to charge enough to know they'll go to a good home and not get used as pretty feeder fish!

·
Registered
67 Posts
You got a whole lot going on there Rocky, Blue Gouramis are spectacular, Wow 70 young uns from one birthing. And the Crayfish tidies up. Sounds like all is well.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
Yeah everything is going great! And every day it seems like my fish are teaching me more about how to care for them. I can't wait to show yall pictures of the Blue Gourami tank! I added about 5 vassilis and a dwarf sword to it, as well as some black phantom barbs and ghost shrimp. everyone is doing great!

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
So, still working towards a picture, dealing with a new (old) phone since my last one took a dump, but I've moved all my ghost shrimp from the 2.5 and dropped 'em in with the tetras and gourami. I got some juveniles coming in with their mother's color, and since I just lost her to parasites, I don't want to lose the coloration :(

Yeah, it was a gill parasite that I got from Pet Supplies Plus. What I thought was cute behavior was actually a warning sign that I missed - them turning on their sides and rubbing on the bottom of the tank. Not saying it wasn't cute, but I really should've realized it wasn't normal. Fortunately the fry are unaffected, and I've added some trumpet snails and otos to help with the algae. The Oto's will be going in with the tetras once the tank has a better algae buildup - they REALLY chew through crud, but seeing them work in my bare-bottom, I can see they really produce a lotta bio. Fortunately the tank is pretty moderately planted, so I guess that won't be much of an issue! Sorry for not posting as often, things have been kinda crazy around here as of late!

21 - 40 of 41 Posts