Tropical Fish Keeping banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So as some of you know, I breed guppies. it's like... my thang. I used to breed wild guppies, my roomate found out, bought some guppies, asked for my help.

Fast forward 2 months later - he doesn't care about fish TOO much (He likes them, helps keep them on a feeding schedule, assists in water changes) but it's become more my project and hobby than anything. We have an entirely different round of fish than when we started, and all new equipment in our tanks.

So many people ask me about them, that I thought I'd go ahead and just keep a thread going with pictures and videos to show you all my hobby and passion, and answer any questions people might have for me along the way. Please, feel free to post comments, suggestions, questions - anything in this thread. I love discussing my fish, and I am by no means an expert... just very, very enthusiastic!

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Actually in the process of moving that tank out into the living room onto my tank stand now. I got a nice oak tank stand big enough for 2 10 gallons to sit side-by-side, didn't realize how difficult that tank would be to move after getting live plants in it. I gotta be very careful when replacing that much water or risk disturbing my substrate too much.

The good news is, I didn't break the tank while moving it - which was my biggest fear. I did move the adults into a small breeding net in the fry tank while I refill it and get the temp regulated again. It's a little race against time, but they seem pretty okay with eachother for the moment. I just need to get the tank resumed before they get stressed and/or nippy. Thankfully.. the fry tank will be much easier to move, though I'll likely move it tomorrow due to restrictions of how much water I can age at a time.

2:07p EST: Temp in tank is now 71f.. should be able to move them over soon! just need 3 more degrees - temporarily placed 2 heaters in tank to quicken transition.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well, that wraps my day of tank changes up. Got my guppies moved over as soon as I noticed the temp hit 74f. The fry tank doesn't have enough filtration to handle the bio load of 10 adults and 20 fry... much less the oxygen load. I wish I could've given it just a bit more time, but seeing fry near the top and gulping is a bad bad sign.

Unplugged the second heater in the adult tank.

Added an airstone to the fry tank to help replace dissolved O2 levels.

Preened over my fish for awhile.

Took pictures.

Rushed back to tell you all about it. :p

·
Registered
67 Posts
Hey Rocky-good luck with the Guppies, I'll make a visit in here a regular things and maybe I'll get back into it myself------------Stupid Question, why o why after decades of aquarists breeding guppies has no one yet as far as I'm aware developed a female with the same tail characteristics of the flashy males, Ive seen females in the fish shop with a tint of colour in the tail, but compared to the glorious males they are pretty dowdy fish--you would think if genetic selection could over a period of time turn a wolf into a Great Dane and also into a Pekinese, why has no one bred a showy female guppy ????

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I think it's something on the y chromosome that promotes the color we see in males. Females, lacking this, don't inherit the same bright color characteristics.

That's just a guess, of course, but it'd make sense.

·
Registered
1,042 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Bilbao on the female guppies with color check out the females in my video.
http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/livebearers/panda-guppies-647449/

Now these aren't the most colorful I have seen but we'll more blue color than most.
I've seen that vid before, I think before I even found this forum lol.

So today, I got my fry tank moved. Without live plants or gravel, it went much smoother. Even moved my 'Cull Bowl', which is just a .5 gal fish bowl with a crawfish in it.

I can tell the fish are loving the natural light... which is good, because I ran out of money before I could find a good LED setup for them. Speaking of, if anyone has some LED lights for 1 or 2 ten gallon tanks, and is willing to part with them, I'll gladly trade some fry for them (Or adults, if said fry are grown up by then)

I'll be doing another video today, since I still don't have the knack down of posting pictures on the forum. Still worried about my half-black female in the breeder net... she simply doesn't seem to be getting much better. I think she's permanently crippled, and I may have to Cull her. There's no way she'll give birth under that stress. Trying hard not to give up hope on her, but there comes a point where I don't want to see her suffer anymore either.

As for the 2 black molly fry I have... actually. Guess I should be calling them juveniles at this point. Someone is supposed to pick them up to adopt them today. Here's to hoping it's a good home, because I actually like the little guys. I just don't want them breeding with my guppy stock, and I don't have another tank (Besides the Cull Bowl) to put them in.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
well, I checked my water parameters. Water's a little hard, but that's not unusual. Nitrites, Nitrates, and Ammonia levels are all Nil. I was prompted to check when I noticed one of my males (The small half-black delta), had either been moved by my roomate, or jumped into my breeding net I use to separate injured fish.

He had been fine lastnight, but overnight developed fuzz along his dorsal. Looks like Columnaris. Made the decision to salt bath the whole tank. Not too worried about ghost shrimp. They don't seem to care about the salt levels in the tank, and these two have survived a salt bath before. I can't assume any of the fish in the tank are okay - so I'll just treat the lot of 'em.

So 8 AM EST today, added 10 tsp of salt. Here we go. As a note, it's hitting him hard and fast.. honestly not expecting him to last the day.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
So when my roommate seperated my infected male, he failed to notice the signs of infection, wrote it off as injury, and put him in with the female I had seperated to heal. When I got back today, he was dead and she was heavily infected in all the places she was wounded before :(

Given her inability to swim, and the location of the infections, I decided to euthanize her and give both to the crawfish, hopefully before the other fish got the infection. Still carrying out the salt treatment in the tank. Here's to hoping that is the extent of my losses.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Beautiful! They are so happy in all that natural light! What cuties. I love the blue!
Now I want guppys again lol.
I'm rehoming my ADF 5.5 gallon and haven't decided yet but was leaning toward another Betta UNTIL I SAW THIS! lol.
aaahhh

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Lol, well maybe once my fry start to show colors, I can let you pick a few out :p

·
Registered
2,227 Posts
well, I checked my water parameters. Water's a little hard, but that's not unusual.
Guppies do like hard water. People keep crushed coral in their filters to keep the water hard.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Guppies do like hard water. People keep crushed coral in their filters to keep the water hard.
I'm finding it harder than it should be, to post a mature reply.

But yeah, like I said, it's not unusually hard. Never had issues with the water hardness before, so the massive water change and the change in tank location is the only thing I can think of that might've caused the onset.

Either that, or he got injured while getting competitive with another male.

·
Registered
67 Posts
You Guppy lovers are the greatest, you love a fish which due to its common availibility gets sneered at as a Kids or beginners fish but--truth be told--its one of the best , liveliest and interesting fish on the market. Little Star nice to make your aquaintence I like your style, Rocky I hope to overcome the disease issues but you seem well clued up and I;m sure you will triumph in the end. Now--theres a beautiful tank of half black yellow lyretail guppies at our local ' Pets at Home ' store and I am looking for a couple of hardy little fish to kick off a '' Fish In '' cycle, Guppies might just serve this purpose. but before I get into the Guppy breeding craze I must get a smaller tank somewhere to house the fry etc. I like the video Rocky where we see your set up, Maybe from a personal point of view I find bare tanks a bit sterile but I can see the functional value of keeping it clean and simple. Good luck guppy lovers !!

·
Registered
209 Posts
Great reply Bilbo Baggins~!
I've only ever had bare bottom aquariums and will personally say they do seem more sterile and I would love nothing more than to muddy it up and make it more of an authentic home for fish but I am squeamish about losing fish and have found this to be the only way for ME personally to prevent constant fish loss. Some peeps have amazing tanks with sand and natural plants and it works great for them, others have a hard time keeping a house plant alive (that would be me) but we still want a fish we can cherish and take care of. There are other reasons, for example bare bottom tanks can be converted into a hospital tank lickety split etc. so I think at the end of the day there is more than one right-way, and as long as your fish is healthy and you are happy with your setup, that's all that really matters. Enjoy!
PS - I am REALLY leaning towards a guppy setup now...

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thank you both :)

As for the bare-bottom tank, it's specifically for fry. Makes it far easier for them to find food, for me to keep their tanks clean, etc. It's meant as a temporary home until they're bigger, but lets face it. If you have 4 or more females with at least one male, unless you've got them on a schedule somehow... you're always going to have fry. 100% of the time.

So today, I went ahead, against my better judgement, and picked up 2 new females. I got one that's pretty brightly yellow, who was already pretty far along, and another red-tailed one. I also got a half-black male with a gorgeous delta, and i love how elegant he looks. Almost like a scrawny betta.

Regarding the infection in my tank, I think that due to the quick isolation on my roommate's part, that the female he isolated her with, is the only casualty. Still no signs of infection in anyone. Going to let the salt levels stay high, and just resume a normal water change schedule to gradually bring it down again, since Guppies really don't give a flying fish about salt in their water. I wonder how many generations of guppy it would take, to breed a marine guppy... I honestly bet it could be done.

So due to some inspiration I've found in other posts in this site, I've picked up some cpvc, several 90 degree elbows, a T section, and a valve... it's not variable depth, but should make a 1/3 water change a breeze. Should be testing it out shortly after this post. Will post pictures tonight or tomorrow of it!

1 - 20 of 41 Posts