Tropical Fish Keeping banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone, one of my guppies is missing most of his tail. It’s super torn and I don’t know what to do. I did do a water change yesterday because they’re ammonia was at a 0.25, and I stated adding Melafix. I have him in a 5.5 gallon aquarium with a female betta and 3 other male guppies. Please help me I don’t know what to do! 9231B605-D1F1-4AA1-8FD6-EADFBBD45224.jpeg I

Attachments

·
Registered
113 Posts
That's some serious fin nipping you've got there. You need to observe carefully and see who is doing the nipping, or if it is everyone.

It isn't uncommon for even female Bettas to be aggressive toward Guppies, whose finnage is reminiscent of another Betta's and so can trigger their aggression. If your female Betta is responsible, she is likely a particularly aggressive individual and will need to stay in the 5.5 gallon herself.

There is also a possibility that some of it is on the part of the other Guppies - male Guppies will fin nip each other when there are too many male Guppies and not enough space to go around. If that is the case, you'll need to upgrade the tank size to a 10 to 15 gallon aquarium for 3-4 male Guppies. 10 gallons is the minimum tank size for Guppies anyway, and both bio-wise and territoriality you are overstocked right now. The fin nipping is a result of that.

Hopefully you can order an aquarium if you aren't on lock down right now and get the Guppies into a better sized tank away from the Betta. Until you can do so, adding in lots of decorations to break up the line of sight can help lower instances of aggression a bit because if a fish is out of sight, it tends to be out of mind. An aquarium divider is another temporary option, and will allow the injured fish to recover some on his own. But long term you are going to need that other tank.

You should also be looking out for signs of fin rot or fungal infections on the injured fin tissue. Fungus will be white. Bacterial infections would be red or dark, slimy, and possibly would have the fin eroding further. The best way to keep that from happening would be to change 30% of the water each day until the fins have regrown. Adding Stress Coat+ will help the fin regrow more quickly and smoothly as well.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts