Tropical Fish Keeping banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Please help me with my guppies. :frown2:
I got my males last January, and then females on february.

My tank specs are:

8 gallon planted tank (open top)
1 bunch of anubias barteri,
1 bunch of java fern,
1 row of narrow leafs,
few floating hornworts
and a carpet of growing java moss.

Inhabitants are:
5 female guppies
3 males,
and i think 3-5 two weeks old fry
(cuz one female was pregnant when I got her, thankfully she didn't die giving birth)

I use a medium size sponge filter, a heater, and 2 10 watt LED flood lights.

I keep my temperature at 80,
do 30-50% water changes every week, and
add water conditioner to remove chlorine, chloramine, and ammonia after every water change.

I also cycled the tank with plants and liquid fert for about (i think) 3-4 weeks before adding the guppy fish.
________

Sometimes I see 2 of my females flinching to quickly turn and scratch their sides on top of my anubias' huge leaves.
I even see them swim/float in just one spot.

They don't do this all the time but at least once/twice a day they behave like this. Maybe because of the males that keep pestering them?

But they are bit active, swim around, and get hyper when I feed them.

I don't see ich or yellow dust. When I turn off the light and shine a flashlight over them they have blue-green metallic shines in their scales and body.

The gills are not moving rapidly, and their eyes are not red. The females are a bit translucent so I see their gills having a small light red hue.

The males are very active, and chase the females.

What is wrong with them? and why is it only my 2 females?
BTW I think they're pregnant. That one affected female was the one that gave birth to the 3-5 fry 2 weeks ago, and was the one that first had the symptoms.

Here's an image of my tank, and the female that was affected first:

Attachments

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
I forgot to add...

I sterilized the new added plants with 1 part bleach,
and also quarantined and medicated the guppies with a general cure bath overnight (with filter and heater) before adding them to the tank.

They were all okay, that one female even gave birth right away.

·
Registered
5,201 Posts
Glancing is one of the early indicators of ich...... or it can be simply an itch the fish is scratching, or a loose scale the fish is trying to rub off. Unfortunately there’s nothing to do at this point but wait to see what, if anything, develops.

Reactions: MKay

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Help! :crying:

- All of my guppies and some fry are now showing signs of "glancing" or "flashing". (but they just do it for 1 or 2 more times then swim normally)

- I saw one of my female guppies having mouth fungus (or is it columnaris? sorry :frown2: i don't know the difference)
I've attached a pic below for reference.

I have a rid-all cure that colors the water green (so i'm guessing it has malachite green) Ingredients are not indicated in the bottle it just says that it cures ich, sore spots, fin rot, torn fins, mouth and body fungus. It also says that it is widely used in fish farms and hatcheries and dosage is 10ml per 100L of water.

I also have pure natural himalayan rock salt (couldn't find freshwater salt anywhere in my LFS)

Should I medicate only that one affected fish with fungus or medicate all of them?

What should I do with my (going to be) 4 weeks old fry? (my 5 little babies :crying::crying: )

- plus my anubias has been growing like crazy (it has given yet another new shoot of leaves)

- my hornworts are dying and have piled over my aquarium floor (i think it's decomposing quickly, turning brown and has tiny white fluff in it's stems...)

What should I do? :frown2:

Attachments

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
My guppies are okay now :smile2: and I hope and pray it stays that way :grin2:

The mouth fungus is gone, she's not wiggling anymore, and all my guppies and fry stopped glancing.

What I did was I temporarily transferred all my live plants in another container, placed 2 plastic plants for my fry to hide and then gradually dosed my tank with 1 teaspoon of salt per gallon.

My tank was in salt treatment for one (1) week. But then I found new fry in the tank (9+) while I was cleaning and doing my water change. They were all hiding in the plastic plants.

Scared that they'll all get eaten (one of my fry got eaten btw due to lack of hiding spots during the salt treatment) I stopped putting more salt, and put back my live plants (java moss, java fern, and Anubias) Upon research, I found out that these plants can handle some level of salinity (the anubias is the weakest but we'll see) so I'm trying it out now. My fry now have live plants to munch on and hide.

It's already been a week, and thank God they're all still okay. My fry doubled in number (i see 15-20 now). :surprise:

I'll have to buy another tank for my new little guppies. So for now, lots and lots and lots of water changes :serious:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts