Tropical Fish Keeping banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello

I am new to all this and need some advise. My wife got me a 10 gallon tank for my birthday at the beginning of August. On 5 August I set it up and conditioned the water. It has a filter, gravel and a plastic plant, a live plant, and decorative castle - all aquarium safe stuff. After a week of cycling, we added 4 female and 2 male guppies. Everybody seemed happy. A week later 17 August, we added two cory catfish, a bronze and an albino. The bronze died within 3 day. Still the albino and the gups were happy. So we replaced the bronze. He is happy.

On 26 August we changed the water. I did up a bucket, one used solely for water changes, conditioned the water, and let it sit for a day before doing the change. For the week after that - everyone happy.

Females gups started to look very pregnant. So on 1 September we added a nursery and isolated 2 of them, the ones that look most ready to go. We made sure to rinse the nursery off and dry it before adding it. Within 3 days both of the females died. By 6 September the remaining females died as did the males. The catfish are still happy.

Had the water tested and store said pH was high. So they sold me some Hagen Nutrifin pH decrease. So here's my question. I am a little confused about the best way to decrease. If I understood correctly, its 1 drop per gallon, so I would do 10 drops. BUT - because I have live fish in there, so as not to stress them I should only do 1 drop per day to bring down slowly. Does this sound right. Of do I have the directions all messed up. So far I have only done 1 drop.

Thanks in advance

Tony

·
Registered
134 Posts
I am sorry about the guppies. I have to ask which store... because most of us would say you need to back up and figure out why. Why did the pH change, what were the other readings on the water test they did, was the water test after the 21 days without a water change, are you using city or well water, blah, blah, blah. Cory cats like the Ph between 7.0 – 7.8 and Guppies like it between 6.7-8.5. If high pH killed the guppies then the corries would have died first. So I am not sure you are getting good advice about anything (including the pH.) If you can not purchase a test kit, then have a different store test the water as it is now.

If you choose to stay the course, then skip a day or two between drops.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I am sorry about the guppies. I have to ask which store... because most of us would say you need to back up and figure out why. Why did the pH change, what were the other readings on the water test they did, was the water test after the 21 days without a water change, are you using city or well water, blah, blah, blah. Cory cats like the Ph between 7.0 – 7.8 and Guppies like it between 6.7-8.5. If high pH killed the guppies then the corries would have died first. So I am not sure you are getting good advice about anything (including the pH.) If you can not purchase a test kit, then have a different store test the water as it is now.

If you choose to stay the course, then skip a day or two between drops.
Thank you for your reply. The store was Mr Pets here in Canada. I get what you are saying about the pH as far as the cories go and the gups. That makes sense.

We have city water here. The water test was 12 days after the water change.Guppies started dying a week after the change.

I am thinking it might be ammonia/ nitrites s the store person said those seemed high.

I will buy a test kit tomorrow

Tony

·
Registered
14 Posts
One week of tank cycling is wholly inadequate. I am 100% sure improper water parameters were responsible for your losses. Please read up on the proper methodology of fish-in cycling of a fish tank. Had the water test kit purchase, knowledge of your local water parameters and understanding of fish-in tank cycling preceded the purchase of fish, I doubt you would have lost even one fish. There's tons of information on these critical topics on this forum and other tropical fish web sites - and on YouTube as well. Exploit those resources and your fish with thank you and reward you with a long life!

·
Registered
134 Posts
More than once...

One week of tank cycling is wholly inadequate. I am 100% sure improper water parameters were responsible for your losses. Please read up on the proper methodology of fish-in cycling of a fish tank. Had the water test kit purchase, knowledge of your local water parameters and understanding of fish-in tank cycling preceded the purchase of fish, I doubt you would have lost even one fish. There's tons of information on these critical topics on this forum and other tropical fish web sites - and on YouTube as well. Exploit those resources and your fish with thank you and reward you with a long life!

...you have come down a bit heavy on a newbie. Please reconsider. Coaching is more likely to achieve what we ALL want. You have tons of information he and (probably) I do not. Please share that instead.

For example...How long does it take you to cycle a new tank? Have you ever taken used media from an established tank to start a new tank? Was that faster? Do you know any where is his area that a fish club meets?

·
Registered
134 Posts
A test kit is a great place to start.

You also may want to look into aquarium clubs that meet near you. Many times you can get fish and equipment much cheaper thru clubs and advice is free. Mr pets had several locations so I am unsure which of these might be close... You can also google "aquarium club near (your town)"

https://www.calgaryaquariumsociety.com/
Alberta Aquarium
The TGVAS Front Page - TGVAS News

This is the Canadian Association of Aquarium Clubs calendar page.
https://www.caoac.ca/calendar.html

·
Registered
14 Posts
...you have come down a bit heavy on a newbie. Please reconsider. Coaching is more likely to achieve what we ALL want. You have tons of information he and (probably) I do not. Please share that instead.

Hogwash and Poppycock! This is the information age - and I already HAVE a job. OP can find everything he needs without my help. It's all out there if you are not too lazy to put the time and energy into investigating the most rudimentary standards of care for keeping fish. Needlessly killing innocent fish through ignorance and laziness is a oft-seen and wholly unnecessary phenomena in this hobby, and frankly, I'm tired of it. If you are a newbie, at the least UTFSE.

I'm a strong proponent of SUCCESS. That means learning at least the bare minimum before undertaking the care of living creatures which are wholly dependent on your skill set for survival. Unless and until people start ragging on these "newbies" who have no knowledge and no skill, and who are too lazy to GET it before opting for pet ownership, the phenomena of killing innocent fish will continue unabated.

I will NOT be apologizing for this position. Killing fish through stupidity and laziness when superb information to prevent same is so ubiquitous and easily accessed is immoral - and completely, 100% preventable. I'm sick and tire of people thinking that anything that is not human has a life that is not equally valuable. Fish love their lives as much as we love our own.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I would say to any newbie that ammonia is your worst enemy and use a water test kit or at least test strips (cheap & easy) to make sure that ammonia is zero. If you have any ammonia it is easy to get rid of. Just get a pouch of good bacteria and add the recommended amount. Follow directions which start with shaking the pouch.

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
you might want to check out the methods in my signature.

High pH is a sign of low carbon dioxide. If that is the reason for the high pH it is never a reason to adjust pH. Afterall fish do better in a low co2 high oxygen environment.

I constantly have high pH in my planted tanks and just ignore it.

Plus the fact that you carried the water to the store then tested it. So perhaps it outgassed CO2 on the way to the store and again no pH adjustment was called for.

IMHO adjusting pH is never called for. KH (carbonate hardness) yes especially in marine tanks. raising with baking soda, lowering with peat moss.

just my .02

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hogwash and Poppycock! This is the information age - and I already HAVE a job. OP can find everything he needs without my help. It's all out there if you are not too lazy to put the time and energy into investigating the most rudimentary standards of care for keeping fish. Needlessly killing innocent fish through ignorance and laziness is a oft-seen and wholly unnecessary phenomena in this hobby, and frankly, I'm tired of it. If you are a newbie, at the least UTFSE.

I'm a strong proponent of SUCCESS. That means learning at least the bare minimum before undertaking the care of living creatures which are wholly dependent on your skill set for survival. Unless and until people start ragging on these "newbies" who have no knowledge and no skill, and who are too lazy to GET it before opting for pet ownership, the phenomena of killing innocent fish will continue unabated.

I will NOT be apologizing for this position. Killing fish through stupidity and laziness when superb information to prevent same is so ubiquitous and easily accessed is immoral - and completely, 100% preventable. I'm sick and tire of people thinking that anything that is not human has a life that is not equally valuable. Fish love their lives as much as we love our own.
You are very right on some points, and you should do your best to take care of your animals, as the bible says (a wise man regardeth the life of his beast), but you made one big mistake there, animals and people are not equal. the bible says that we (humans) are given dominion over animals, you should watch over and care for your animals, don't get me wrong, but fish are not equal to humans. I love fish, and snails, and all those other little aquatic creatures, and my cat too, but that doesn't mean we are equals.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Make a good buy
Dont see for the cost
And guppies like to live in groups of thier species any other fish can lead them to stress...I think that was the reason for ur guppies death.. RIP guppies

1 - 11 of 11 Posts