Tropical Fish Keeping banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have recently saved two fancy goldfish from a terrible fate in a plastic container , i was worried about nitrate shock when i introduced them, seen as the small container would not have been maintained properly.
They are currently in a 200l tank , barebottom, with a couple rocks for decor(im going with the minimalist look lol) .
One of them is a black moor, he (idk, too young to tell, but i just FEEL his male-ness) seems okay , no fin rot, cloudy eye or even any missing scales. His tail is decent-sized and he seems to be getting around alright; he finds it pretty easy to browse.

However, the Calico fantail (i guess, that's what seems most likely, she has two anal fins, if that means something?) seems to find it harder to swim and struggles to get her face to the floor to pick up scraps, and she's getting thrown around in the current a little. Perhaps due to her past in a tank far too small, her tail growth is stunted a little? Ive never kept fancies before, so i don't really know about the different types and how they grow.

My filtration is pretty strong, i currently have two filters going, as the tank is cycling. Yes, shoot me now, i have fish in a cycling tank- but i supposed a tank 20 times bigger, with two filters, proper airation , no dead plant matter, a varied diet, daily water changes, a UV steriliser and a water parameter testing kit was a much better situation than their tiny box without a filter that got changed every few weeks - they're a tiny, weeny bit less likely too suffocate in their own waste.

I'm also using a used tank, a used filter and i put some water from my other cycled tanks in it, tomorrow i will swap the media with another active sponge from a different tank, so hopefully the tank will cycle quickly. ( i had to drain and dry my tank due to a fatal case of ich which destroyed my tropical community- a downgrade to goldfish wasn't a bad thing)

anyway, i know my current is strong at the moment , but i still don't like to see her struggling to pick something off the floor, other than this she looks remarkably healthy. no signs of ich( which is good, because i can't activate my UV sterilizer until the tank is cycled because i don't want to mess it up), but i won't know for sure until a few weeks- sneaky, those parasites.
She does seem to be surface-breathing a little bit, i don't know if that's a habit from her old 'tank' or i need to increase airation- the other one doesn't at all.

she does have a pink operculum- but i have seen that in calico colouring before - so i don't think that's an issue.

Basically, what im asking is- is it possible that she is stunted a little- her body is pretty fat- and her fins haven't grown properly, due to how small her last home was?
If it could be the case, how can i help her grow faster?

I will increase the temperature when my hospital tank no longer needs my big heater (the ich survivors have taken residence in there atm, and the shrimp and puffers need the smaller heaters).
They have ample space- they hardly know what to do with themselves in that huge tank, perhaps they think they've died and gone to heaven? (in my opinion, there's little that gives a more satisfying feeling than watching a fish that has been confined all its life actually have the choice of where to swim. )
They'll have a very varied diet, veggies (the common choice of peeled pea, microwaved spinach etc.), frozen bloodworm, frozen brine shrimp with garlic, my tropical pro-colour granules, and ill mix in their old cheap af flake-food as well( i won't buy more after that because i don't like flakes), i will also be buying Hikari gold and some gel- food( most likely repashy superfoods soilent green).

Is there anything else i can do for them, and what do you think of my goldie rescue? Was it a stupid thing to do?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
ahh , no she hasn't got swimbladder, im pretty experienced with that, i guess i exaggerated a little, it's not a severe difficulty to swim, she's just a Fancy goldfish, and was bred super fat , my bad, i freaked a little, but what can ya do, ive never kept them before.

I did a little more research, and found out that some people breed short-finned fan-tails, i didn't think that was a thing, but since i didn't buy her from a store i could't have known what she was or asked someone experienced.

She was also just ready to spawn, and was full of eggs, so that didn't help either, she's okay now after spawning.

she's so cute, i just wanna giver her a cuddle <3

1 - 4 of 4 Posts