Tropical Fish Keeping banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a green severum in a 55 and i was looking for a new tank mate but wasnt sure what the best choice was. I was thinking of either a firemouth, or a pearly compressiceps. Any advice or suggestions?

·
Registered
5,201 Posts
I think a firemouth is a good choice.

Reactions: NiceTankNina

·
Premium Member
3,247 Posts
firemouth or tetras work well with them.

I would stay away from the calvus though as it is requires different water parameters than the severum. Calvus need very hard water and a pH of 8.6+ which stresses the severums out, severums ideally should be kept in neutral to slightly acidic pH (6-7).

They generally will not see tetra as food unless they have not been fed for about a week. Any catfish which has a solid amour back is fine as well. Severums can sometimes play with catfish as toys, while not wanting to eat them, they can cause severe life threatening injuries.

A single small Oscar would work for about 6-8 months but really they need a 75g tank.

Reactions: NiceTankNina

·
Registered
22 Posts
Another suggestion if you would like multiple tank partners for the severum is any Rainbow Species...very colorful, good swimmers, and a nice completement to the slow moving (once they get bigger) green severum.

·
Registered
5,201 Posts
I have a variety of rainbows with my red sev - good suggestion. However, I would not keep any rainbows bigger than dwarf neons in a 55. Mine outgrew my 90 and now reside in the 125, and I would never consider putting them back in the 90. Aside from not providing the length, the 55 does not provide the width needed for such large and active fish.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Yes, I agree but I was kind of thinking at 55g is small for a Green Severum. They pretty darn big themselves. I would think they would be a little cramped when they grow out.

·
Registered
5,201 Posts
Yes a 55 is small for a sev. It's a good grow out tank- from there I would look for a tank that is 18 inches wide.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Nice collection of tanks.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts