Tropical Fish Keeping banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey i bought a 9 gallon tank about a month ago and a heater filter and cycle i left the tank to cycle for the month i also used some gravel from my freinds estalished tank. i jsut got 3 really really really small silver sharks 1 sunset gourami and 1 dwarf gourami, 1 altum angelfish and 1 smaller marble angelfish

id really like some feedback aout this setup and any advice as this is my 1st tank

·
Registered
620 Posts
Hey welcome...

so thats good that you got some established gravel from your friend. do you know if your tank is cycled yet? If not you need to go out and buy a test kit, a good one is " Master test kit " Which includes ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, pH, kh or gh. Your ammonia should be 0, Nitrite 0, and Nitrate under 40. I would definettly tank the silver sharks, the angels, and gourami back. they will get way to big for a little 9 gallon tank. They might be good for now but it will stunt there growth being in a small area...Feel free to ask any more questions!

nick

·
Banned
750 Posts
The 9 gallon tank is really VERY SMALL for angelfish and gouramis. Angelfish require at least a 20 gallon (tall) tank, since they can get big. Gouramis can also get big and aggressive, especially if kept in a small tank. I'm assuming the silver shark is a bala shark and those will also get big.

All the fish, except for the silver shark, can be kept together if kept in a tank of about 40 gallons.

·
Registered
13,248 Posts
I can't believe you ended up with an altum angelfish.:blink:
Altums will definitely need 24 inches or higher the height of tank.

·
Registered
24 Posts
The only fish really suitable for that size tank is one of the Gouramis. It's a little small for both, and as the others have said the remaining fish will very quickly outgrow the tank you have.

Be warned that most angels sold as altums aren't altums at all. A lot of fish stores can't tell the difference. :roll: Altums are pretty rare. I have only seen them three times or so in over 10 years of keeping fish.

·
Registered
13,248 Posts
tarek said:
:shock: not good

would some pics help?
Hi Tarek.:wave:

Yes, a pic would help.:D
Hope we'll be able to sort out your problems.:D

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
oh noes i got home and 1 of my gourami's is dead :shock: :( :roll: :cry:
i jsut came home from the markets and i see it stuck upside down agaisnt a plant and it didnt move once i tried to nudge it

y!!! need feedback as quikly as possible as i dont want my other fish to die

·
Registered
13,248 Posts
tarek said:
oh noes i got home and 1 of my gourami's is dead :shock: :( :roll: :cry:
i jsut came home from the markets and i see it stuck upside down agaisnt a plant and it didnt move once i tried to nudge it

y!!! need feedback as quikly as possible as i dont want my other fish to die
The best you can do is rehome all of your fish. I know it's painful but they don't fit in a 9 gallons tank.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
yeah gonan do that straight away

got a freind that jsut got a 60 gallon tank see if hell take em off my hands till i can figure ot wats wrong =( :cry:

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
ive had my betta in the tank for about 3 weeks and its been fine but it seemed bored itd jsut sit in the middle of the tank and do nothing so i relocated it to a 2 gallon tank on its own with a small heater and a filter

and as soon as i aded the other fish 1 day later 1 of the gourami's is dead =(

·
Registered
13,248 Posts
Hi Tarek.:wave:

It is best that you save your money so you can buy the biggest tank you can afford.:) I'd recommend 15 gallons as the minimum although the larger, the better.:)

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
haha yeah birthdays coming up hoping to get a 50 gallon

wat kind of stuff would i need to maintain a tank that size though ??

·
Registered
13,248 Posts
Basically what your tank really needs.
Filters, lights, heaters and pump for aeration(unless your filter makes turbulent movements).

Thread moved pending the appearance of the other one in Emergencies.:)

·
Registered
13,248 Posts
tarek said:
yeah lol sorry about that im just worried i dont want all my other fish to die =(
I understand how you feel. So I moved this thread so you'll receive quicker replies as much as possible.:D
I'll keep my fingers crossed for you.:)

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
i would recommend rehoming your other fish as the others have stated. when you added all those fish at once it was probably an ammonia/nitrate overload for your bacteria since they were used to dealing with one betta. its a good rule to add one to two fish per week until you have reached your max number of fish for what your tank can hold. unfortunately, being a 10 gallon owner myself, thats not much. =( good luck with the health of your other fish.

bri

·
Registered
13,248 Posts
tarek said:
hmm the other fish are like 100% fine now they seem happy
I'd just move them straight away and never look back. Your fish will never be happy in a 9 gallons tank.

·
Registered
706 Posts
--Yeah what others suggested -- rehome the fish that are going to be larger than 2 inches as adults :( In a 9 gallon tank you can keep about 3 fish whose adult size will be 3 inches or less. Good luck :)

1 - 20 of 31 Posts