Tropical Fish Keeping banner
21 - 40 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
197 Posts
tom14 said:
so just to make sure, i cant not have any other fish with my three fanciey goldies. yes?

thanks for all the help guys !!
Nope, your already kinda stocked with your current tank :) shrimp might be good though, they will help clean up the fishies mess.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
what kind of shrimp, how many? is it really a good idea? bioload?

thanks! i just want something else and maybe something for the algae on the tank glass. it is really annoying to have to clean it off every five minutes(sorry for the exageration). however, it does seem by these answers that it looks like i will have to use my magnet as usua!l! nevermind

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
so much choice. which are the best? which do you prefer i mean and which can deal with goldfish? and do all of them eat algae off the tank GLASS?? it is only on the glass i dont like. i dont mind algae on the rocks as much. they all look sooo cool and bright!!

·
Registered
197 Posts
I dont like ghost shrimp, I have heard horror stories about them, but my friend who raises goldfish swears by them. I like ammano shrimp, they have never bothered my fish and are friends with my corys, which may be unusual. Tiger shrimp, bumble bee and maybe rudolph shrimp might be a good choice for you, I think cherries would be too small and they arent as fun to watch. As for eating them, the goldies might, but thats the way it works with silly fish. Eating off the glass? I think they do, I catch mine skimming along the glass every once in awhile, they also hang on the heater.

·
Registered
698 Posts
Ghost shrimp can get pretty large, and with claws, they can do some damage to fish. The shrimp in my tank lumber along, but when they want to, they can haul fin. The shrimp though mainly stay to the plant and substrate, though I have caught mine on the filter, in the corners, ....

Cherries are pretty, but like GalaxyGirl said, they are kind of boring and would be rather small. The one I have that is pretty entertaining is the Rudolph Red-Nose shrimp, but it's small.

I have seen the flower shrimp get upwards of 2 inches and they don't have any claws (referenced link calls them wood shrimp). They tend to hang out by the filter.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
how many shrimp could i have with my 3 round bodied goldfish in the 33g?? im not sure which to have. my lfs's don't sell shrimp very often but i did see some last week (cant remember which). i dont want clawed ones and i definately want algae eating ones. thanks! finally do they like to be in groups or could i have a couple of each or ...?

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
i was just wondering with the goldfish in there too. i guessed that i couldnt have 30 just because they like 1 per gallon. i new that my goldies would have an effect (obviously) so that is why i asked.

do they all have to be the same or could a havs 2 of a couple of different species?

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
finally, has anyone actually done this before? or is it just a theory? im curious because i don't want to buy the shrimp (some seem a bit expensive just to be eaten) just for the fancy goldies to go eat them.

the goldies wont eat them yet because they are about 7-8cm including tail (5-6cm without tail) so they are pretty small so will it have an effect if they grow up together or one day will Anubis (black moor) go down while eating his sinking sticks eat one of the shrimp. they arent fed live food so im guessing they might not see them as food when they get bigger?

·
Banned
2,012 Posts
Try ghost shrimp first, although there not that good together since ghost shrimp are tropical and goldfish are coldwater, keep the temp between 68-70, higher is bad for goldfish, lower is bad for shrimp. These shrimp go for about 30 cents at petsmart, there about the size of your thumbnail so they will molt and grow, my lfs sells them large, about 1 inch long for 58 cents so id rather go for the 58 cent ones since they are bigger. If they are eaten its only 30 cents loss and that would mean no more shrimp, if they survive and you dont like them, set up a small tank, maybe a pico tank at 3 gallons and leave it to them, then buy similar shrimp like the red cherry.

·
Registered
13,248 Posts
musho3210 said:
higher is bad for goldfish
Most goldfish are quite tolerant enough to high temperatures. The only thing we wish to avoid is increasing their metabolism rate and oxygen depletion which unfortunately most goldfish will not tolerate quite easily. The higher the temperature, the faster the metabolism rate is which quite easily allows the water quality to slump fast enough to damage the goldfish itself and the rest of the fish if the water is not maintained on regular basis.

By the way, I am referring to their survival rate. They can survive but we do not wish those two things to happen when we are keeping goldfish in our tanks.

·
Banned
2,012 Posts
yup i know that, thats why colder goldfish ponds can hold more than warmer goldfish ponds since the colder the water, the more oxygen which helps the bacteria break down the large waste producing goldfish as well as give the goldfish oxygen to (breath?). I studied all this before.
also note that bacteria multiplies slower in cold water but the bacteria itself works better in colder water, so do a fishless cycle somewhere in the 70's, then when you get the goldfish bring it down to the 60's

If you get your tank to the lower 60's or upper 50's, then you can house more goldfish, or better house the current ones.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
i thought fancy goldfish like warmer temps because in the colder ones they are suseptabl to fin rot or something...

so i should get 2-3 ghost shrimp, she how it goes, if they dont eat them i can add the more expensive ones? what is a pico tank? i was thinking of having 3 of 3 different varieties?

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
blackmoors, lionheads, and red caps dont like 60F water. it is bad for the round bodied ones especially with flowing fins.

http://www.petsmart.com/global/arti...9351&FOLDER<>folder_id=9852723696503937&N=230

http://www.giveusahome.com/allpets/fish/redcaporanda.htm

http://animal-world.com/encyclo/fresh/goldfish/LionheadGoldfish.php

http://animal-world.com/encyclo/fresh/goldfish/BlackMoor.php

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_Moor

it mainly says low 70s and very high 60s (68+) this is around 10F more than what most of you have said. i understand pond or comon goldfish like these colder temps but fancies dont.

thanks! i think im going to get some bumblebee, cherry, ghost and/or red nose ones depending what is is the shop i guess

21 - 40 of 40 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.