Tropical Fish Keeping banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Banned
2,012 Posts
Ok well first you need to find a large coldwater fish that the goldies wont eat. But the problem is you dont have enough room for a large coldwater fish. Ideally you need to keep the temp in the 60's for the goldies to thrive, anything more than 75 gives oxygen deprivation and will lead to an early death for the goldfish. You simply cant fit any fish here, my goldfish rule is 2 goldies for a 30 gallon tank and 10 gallon per goldy after that. An 8" fish in a 10 gallon tank doesnt seem appealing.

·
Banned
2,012 Posts
what im saying is you cant fit any fish in there, how big of a filter are you running in there, unless your getting around 15x filtration rate (450 gph) then your tank is overstocked. Dont get involved with problems of overstocking and watching the goldfish die slowly or watch the new fish die.

·
Banned
2,012 Posts
tom14 said:
but i thought you should have 10g per fish. yes i know i cant have 1 in a 10g but that is how it works i thought.so there for 30g =3 goldfish. also it is a 33g so iwould have 11g each. i know it is not the best but it is far better than having 1 in a <1g boal don't you think? they are happy and the water is great. 0 amonia 0 nitrite and around 15-20 nitrate.

i have a red cap oranda called THOTH, a black moor called ANUBIS and a lionhead called SHU. they are named after ancient egyptian gods. they are really cool!!
it wasnt me who said 10 gallon per fish, im the one who says 30 gallons minimum for a goldfish tank. You can fit only 2 goldies in a 30 gallon. Then after that its 10 gallon per goldy, so 40 gallons hold 3 golds, 50 gallons holds 4 golds etc. I have an article written about them in the members article section

·
Banned
2,012 Posts
Try ghost shrimp first, although there not that good together since ghost shrimp are tropical and goldfish are coldwater, keep the temp between 68-70, higher is bad for goldfish, lower is bad for shrimp. These shrimp go for about 30 cents at petsmart, there about the size of your thumbnail so they will molt and grow, my lfs sells them large, about 1 inch long for 58 cents so id rather go for the 58 cent ones since they are bigger. If they are eaten its only 30 cents loss and that would mean no more shrimp, if they survive and you dont like them, set up a small tank, maybe a pico tank at 3 gallons and leave it to them, then buy similar shrimp like the red cherry.

·
Banned
2,012 Posts
yup i know that, thats why colder goldfish ponds can hold more than warmer goldfish ponds since the colder the water, the more oxygen which helps the bacteria break down the large waste producing goldfish as well as give the goldfish oxygen to (breath?). I studied all this before.
also note that bacteria multiplies slower in cold water but the bacteria itself works better in colder water, so do a fishless cycle somewhere in the 70's, then when you get the goldfish bring it down to the 60's

If you get your tank to the lower 60's or upper 50's, then you can house more goldfish, or better house the current ones.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts