Tropical Fish Keeping banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi

i have 3 round bodied goldfish in a 33g tank. i was wondering if i could have some other fish in there with them? NOT A PLECO though because i have heard some horrible tales...

or some inverts that could go with them?

thanks. the goldfish are around 8cm (inc tail).lots of plants in the tank. 0ammonia 0nitrite and around 10nitrate. i vac once a week around 30% of the water.

THANKS!!

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i don't think i could put a dojo in. i was thinking of some zebra danios or whit clouds. or some cories (i dont know?) or a couple of golden apple snails or some freshwater clams. nothing massive. thanks!!

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
i'm not sure if they will have to be masize because they are the round bodied goldies and they don't swim very fast and are very friendly.

well they seem very happy in thier tank. there are lots of plants but it is still very lightly decorated so there is plenty of swimming space. i did have the 3 of them in a 15g because i didn't know they needed a bigger tank.

in the pet shop it has hillstream loaches and freshwater clams in with the fancy goldfish (not common or comet). i thought hilstram loaches liked lots of current but roud bodied goldfish dont. well i guess it is another bad pet shop?

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
but i thought you should have 10g per fish. yes i know i cant have 1 in a 10g but that is how it works i thought.so there for 30g =3 goldfish. also it is a 33g so iwould have 11g each. i know it is not the best but it is far better than having 1 in a <1g boal don't you think? they are happy and the water is great. 0 amonia 0 nitrite and around 15-20 nitrate.

i have a red cap oranda called THOTH, a black moor called ANUBIS and a lionhead called SHU. they are named after ancient egyptian gods. they are really cool!!

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
isn't that for normal goldfish not round bodies ones. i didnt say you told me about the 10g per fish it is what i was told on MANY websites. i did my research and that is why i got a 33g for the three of them. thank you for the advice on if i could have any other fish which the answer is no as i have found out. thank you to everyone who has helped me. :D

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
what kind of shrimp, how many? is it really a good idea? bioload?

thanks! i just want something else and maybe something for the algae on the tank glass. it is really annoying to have to clean it off every five minutes(sorry for the exageration). however, it does seem by these answers that it looks like i will have to use my magnet as usua!l! nevermind

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
so much choice. which are the best? which do you prefer i mean and which can deal with goldfish? and do all of them eat algae off the tank GLASS?? it is only on the glass i dont like. i dont mind algae on the rocks as much. they all look sooo cool and bright!!

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
how many shrimp could i have with my 3 round bodied goldfish in the 33g?? im not sure which to have. my lfs's don't sell shrimp very often but i did see some last week (cant remember which). i dont want clawed ones and i definately want algae eating ones. thanks! finally do they like to be in groups or could i have a couple of each or ...?

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
i was just wondering with the goldfish in there too. i guessed that i couldnt have 30 just because they like 1 per gallon. i new that my goldies would have an effect (obviously) so that is why i asked.

do they all have to be the same or could a havs 2 of a couple of different species?

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
finally, has anyone actually done this before? or is it just a theory? im curious because i don't want to buy the shrimp (some seem a bit expensive just to be eaten) just for the fancy goldies to go eat them.

the goldies wont eat them yet because they are about 7-8cm including tail (5-6cm without tail) so they are pretty small so will it have an effect if they grow up together or one day will Anubis (black moor) go down while eating his sinking sticks eat one of the shrimp. they arent fed live food so im guessing they might not see them as food when they get bigger?

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
i thought fancy goldfish like warmer temps because in the colder ones they are suseptabl to fin rot or something...

so i should get 2-3 ghost shrimp, she how it goes, if they dont eat them i can add the more expensive ones? what is a pico tank? i was thinking of having 3 of 3 different varieties?

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
blackmoors, lionheads, and red caps dont like 60F water. it is bad for the round bodied ones especially with flowing fins.

http://www.petsmart.com/global/arti...9351&FOLDER<>folder_id=9852723696503937&N=230

http://www.giveusahome.com/allpets/fish/redcaporanda.htm

http://animal-world.com/encyclo/fresh/goldfish/LionheadGoldfish.php

http://animal-world.com/encyclo/fresh/goldfish/BlackMoor.php

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_Moor

it mainly says low 70s and very high 60s (68+) this is around 10F more than what most of you have said. i understand pond or comon goldfish like these colder temps but fancies dont.

thanks! i think im going to get some bumblebee, cherry, ghost and/or red nose ones depending what is is the shop i guess

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.