Tropical Fish Keeping banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi

i have 3 round bodied goldfish in a 33g tank. i was wondering if i could have some other fish in there with them? NOT A PLECO though because i have heard some horrible tales...

or some inverts that could go with them?

thanks. the goldfish are around 8cm (inc tail).lots of plants in the tank. 0ammonia 0nitrite and around 10nitrate. i vac once a week around 30% of the water.

THANKS!!

·
Registered
267 Posts
10 gallons per goldfish is nice to have...gives them lots of room and helps maintain water quality...

I added a Dojo (Weather) Loach to my little tank (temporary housing), they are also a cold water fish...

I have to admit! I'm quite fond of him. :love: He's not an algae eater by any means, but does pick up food bits the goldies miss...

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i don't think i could put a dojo in. i was thinking of some zebra danios or whit clouds. or some cories (i dont know?) or a couple of golden apple snails or some freshwater clams. nothing massive. thanks!!

·
Registered
267 Posts
Well...you could try...

...but my guess is that the goldies would eat the danios or the white clouds...

The Apple Snails prefer warmer water...but you can try...

Don't know about the clam...

·
Registered
267 Posts
I have kept corys with goldfish in the past...so it's doable...

...but I noticed that when I moved the goldies into the basement and turned the upstairs tank into a tropical...the corys appeared a lot more active and 'healthier' with a heater in the tank...

I think...that if you're prepared to remove and rehouse fish if things don't work out...that a little careful experimentation is fine...

·
Banned
2,012 Posts
Ok well first you need to find a large coldwater fish that the goldies wont eat. But the problem is you dont have enough room for a large coldwater fish. Ideally you need to keep the temp in the 60's for the goldies to thrive, anything more than 75 gives oxygen deprivation and will lead to an early death for the goldfish. You simply cant fit any fish here, my goldfish rule is 2 goldies for a 30 gallon tank and 10 gallon per goldy after that. An 8" fish in a 10 gallon tank doesnt seem appealing.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
i'm not sure if they will have to be masize because they are the round bodied goldies and they don't swim very fast and are very friendly.

well they seem very happy in thier tank. there are lots of plants but it is still very lightly decorated so there is plenty of swimming space. i did have the 3 of them in a 15g because i didn't know they needed a bigger tank.

in the pet shop it has hillstream loaches and freshwater clams in with the fancy goldfish (not common or comet). i thought hilstram loaches liked lots of current but roud bodied goldfish dont. well i guess it is another bad pet shop?

·
Banned
2,012 Posts
what im saying is you cant fit any fish in there, how big of a filter are you running in there, unless your getting around 15x filtration rate (450 gph) then your tank is overstocked. Dont get involved with problems of overstocking and watching the goldfish die slowly or watch the new fish die.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
but i thought you should have 10g per fish. yes i know i cant have 1 in a 10g but that is how it works i thought.so there for 30g =3 goldfish. also it is a 33g so iwould have 11g each. i know it is not the best but it is far better than having 1 in a <1g boal don't you think? they are happy and the water is great. 0 amonia 0 nitrite and around 15-20 nitrate.

i have a red cap oranda called THOTH, a black moor called ANUBIS and a lionhead called SHU. they are named after ancient egyptian gods. they are really cool!!

·
Banned
2,012 Posts
tom14 said:
but i thought you should have 10g per fish. yes i know i cant have 1 in a 10g but that is how it works i thought.so there for 30g =3 goldfish. also it is a 33g so iwould have 11g each. i know it is not the best but it is far better than having 1 in a <1g boal don't you think? they are happy and the water is great. 0 amonia 0 nitrite and around 15-20 nitrate.

i have a red cap oranda called THOTH, a black moor called ANUBIS and a lionhead called SHU. they are named after ancient egyptian gods. they are really cool!!
it wasnt me who said 10 gallon per fish, im the one who says 30 gallons minimum for a goldfish tank. You can fit only 2 goldies in a 30 gallon. Then after that its 10 gallon per goldy, so 40 gallons hold 3 golds, 50 gallons holds 4 golds etc. I have an article written about them in the members article section

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
isn't that for normal goldfish not round bodies ones. i didnt say you told me about the 10g per fish it is what i was told on MANY websites. i did my research and that is why i got a 33g for the three of them. thank you for the advice on if i could have any other fish which the answer is no as i have found out. thank you to everyone who has helped me. :D

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
so for a common a 24g tank is acceptable for a 12" goldfish. some how i doubt that. even 2 6" would be pushing it.

·
Registered
197 Posts
I think right now what you have is just fine. Some people like the 2 goldfish per 30 gallon, I go by 10 gallon to every one goldfish. This doesnt mean you should stick one goldie in a 10 gallon, I would never go less than 30 gallons to have 2 or 3. Even then thats a tad bit small. You need to have a TON of filtration though, they are messy critters. You cant fit anything in there right now, your already kinda stocked. If you want to get a bigger tank, maybe go ahead with a loach.

·
Registered
627 Posts
a goldfish that eats danios??? ive never heard that before, i have a goldfish in my community tank and he is the most placid fish in there! i have never seen him chasing or bullyin other fish, so i would say, if ur tank was bigger then yes u could put danios in with them. correct me if im wrong guys but my whole family have goldfish and my mum has tetras with hers and they live well together :):)

·
Registered
13,248 Posts
lioness501 said:
a goldfish that eats danios???
Only if the tank is small or the danios were unable to escape due to illnesses, stress, etc.
tom14 said:
i thought hilstram loaches liked lots of current but roud bodied goldfish dont. well i guess it is another bad pet shop?
Yes and no. If the demand for hillies is quite high, then it will be very fortunate that the hillies will be able to escape the dirty water created by goldfish but unfortunate when they ended up to a beginner's uncycled tank or someone who neglects the tank a lot. Most fish stay in the pet stores for short periods before they are chosen by the customers. The other disadvantage is that some people will only think that as both require cooler waters, they will think that it is alright but it is not in my opinion right to mix a big waste producer with a fish that often likes clean water better.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts