Tropical Fish Keeping banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am going out of town for about 10-12 days. i have a 10g with 4 african cichlids and a 55 with 15 tiger/albino barbs, 3 rainbow sharks, and 2 gouramis. we don't have anyone watching the house. what should i do to make sure the fish are ok when i get back?

·
Registered
49 Posts
Do a large water change and get one of those automatic fish feeders so they can eat while your gone. I would also do a large water change as soon as I got back. For that timeperiod they will be ok not too bad it's the feeding that you should be concerned about.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
do you have a recomendation for a decent automatic feeder? and i will be going to lowes today to get a timer for my lights

·
Registered
3,667 Posts
I am going out of town for about 10-12 days. i have a 10g with 4 african cichlids and a 55 with 15 tiger/albino barbs, 3 rainbow sharks, and 2 gouramis. we don't have anyone watching the house. what should i do to make sure the fish are ok when i get back?
If it is strictly feeding, do you have anyone that can stop by and feed them?

·
Registered
3,667 Posts
overfeeding with the automatic feeder
That is what I was concerned about. I have two dogs, two cats, two birds and one running fish tank right now. When I go out of town, I have someone stay at my house. It's easier to pay someone than to find a kennel, auto feeder, have someone stop by for the cats, etc.

There are people that will stop by and feed your fish for money. Look at dog walkers, they are usually insured and make a living being trustworthy. They should have references. If its just feeding your fish every/ every other day, it should be cheap.

·
Registered
2,174 Posts
I was away for 10 days over xmas. Prior to leaving I added two (2) Tetra gel feeders and some extra floating (Anacharis) plants after doing a partial water change. The fish were fine and the gel feeders appeared to be hardly touched.

I'm not sure I'd spend the money they want for auto feeders as I had one long ago and it failed while we were away. If you do get one, set it up a week or more before you leave and monitor it closely to ensure proper operation.

·
Registered
5,201 Posts
It takes a LONG time for fish to starve to death - several months. 10-12 days without food, you won't even notice a difference when you get back.

·
Registered
2,010 Posts
I think that the shop I go to the most has an aquarium service... It might be worth asking at the fish store if its not just a pet something store. If nothing else they may have some contact for someone who would stop by every fews days.

Otherwise big water change before and after your trip.

Jeff

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
I wouldn't bother with food. There's a ton of stuff in there for them to chew on while you're gone, IMO, instead of worrying about an automatic feeder malfunctioning (ie, dumping a ton of food in while you're gone and causing a huge ammonia spike plus bloated fish).

I'd just do a major (like 80%) water change before and after.

·
Registered
2,224 Posts
I wouldn't bother with food. There's a ton of stuff in there for them to chew on while you're gone, IMO, instead of worrying about an automatic feeder malfunctioning (ie, dumping a ton of food in while you're gone and causing a huge ammonia spike plus bloated fish).

+1

·
Registered
2,477 Posts
http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/

Agreed. I am leaving this Saturday and will be gone for 8 days, which as far as fish are concerned is nothing really. I'm starting with water changes tomorrow, since it takes me awhile to change all the tanks. I would not recommend any auto feeders or feeding blocks as these are more likely to cause problems then to help. I would be fine leaving my fish that long without any food at all, but usually its easy enough to find someone to stop by. I have a friend stopping by on Thursday since she drives right by my apartment, to feed the fish, water plants, and just check on the place. Should take 10 minuets or so.

·
Registered
2,477 Posts
I forgot to add, if you DO have anyone feed fish while your away overfeeding is still a common issue and other random things you wouldn't expect. Like once I told a friend they could feed some frozen bloodworms, I even wrote "in freezer" only to find some dead mealworms from the fridge in my tank when I got back lol. So when you do have someone feed your fish while your away best way to go about it is to feed only dry foods, unless absolutely necessary. On top of that dry food should be premeasured by you and placed in one of those 1 week pill boxes that you can get for $1 or so. That way they don't actually have to go through the effort of feeding the fish. Its simply open a chamber and dump contents into tank, no measuring or guessing by them as that is were problems come from.

·
Registered
528 Posts
i got a 12 dollar one from walmart an boy what a piece of crap! it only feeds enough food for about half the fish in my tank. its going back today!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts