Tropical Fish Keeping banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Banned
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I love ghost shrimp! Even though my fish doesn't eat many of them... (maybe 1 per week or so), I've bought hundreds of them and love watching them move around the tank.

I've noticed they all like to hide out when it's dark, but when I turn the lights on they slowly come out and like to scavage in the open gravel. And I assume they're helping to keep the tank clean.

Does anyone else put ghost shrimp in their tanks just for fun and not for food?

·
Banned
2,012 Posts
me, there my cleanup crew, my rams are quite messy eaters soo whenever my rams eat, 5 minutes later there will be some shrimp where the food used to be. Before my danios ate the food before the rams but i fixed that by using a carpet of java moss so the food is under it where the shrimp can crawl through but the fish cant

·
Registered
13,248 Posts
Posted to remove double forum glitch since the thread was moved. Pls ignore this post.

·
Registered
197 Posts
I love my two ghost shrimp! Charles comes out in the light occasionally, but they both seem to be nocturnal. They eat the food and I guess the algae? I was cleaning the tank and they ran onto my heater and started doing there thing I think. I didnt watch closely haha. But once I get my new hood im gunna grow java moss for them and get some more:)

·
Registered
58 Posts
I plan on stocking my 5 gallon with several of these for fun as well as putting a one or 2 in my 20 long so mr wiggles, my ropefish can eat them if he feels fit

·
Registered
2,889 Posts
i have never seen a ghost shrimp!!! my lfs and the much bigger one in the city dont have any shrimps and seemed very surprised that i would be asking about them. are they quite rare? what size are they? would they be eaten in my tank?

1 pictus catfish
1 upside down catfish (i dont know scientific names)
3 mollies
a swordtail
(soon to be joined by a pleco)

i dont really like the idea of putting living things in order to be eaten (im too soft i know) so if they would get eaten ill stop trying to find some

·
Banned
2,012 Posts
well they are see through which is there natural protection from prey, but they are small so there is a high chance of them being eaten.

·
Registered
115 Posts
i love ghost shrimp i have about 30 of them or so there my clean up crew i also put 2 in with my cardinals because there surprisingly messy :/
and no there not rare there actually very popular

·
Registered
58 Posts
I hard that they will attack fry and I want to use my 5 gallon for baby swordtails. Can any of you confirm or deny this?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts