Tropical Fish Keeping banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can someone look at my signature and type in how many ghost shrimp I can put in each.

i was thinking 2 in the 29g and 1 in the 16g.

OR a freshwater clam for the 16g.

Any advice would be appreciated.

·
Banned
2,012 Posts
you can fit 4 in the 16 gallon and 10 in the 55 gallon, those are reccomended numbers, they will breed and when they do, just leave them, the shrimp dont matter in the inch per gallon rule. I have 5 in my 20 gallon tank.

·
Banned
2,012 Posts
Also let me clarify dont get the maxiumum amount, get half the maximum amount, that way they will breed and will slowly and stabaly get to the maximum. You can fit 1 shrimp per gallon, not including fish, so a fully stocked 20 gallon aquarium can hold 20 ghost shrimp at maximum, but 10 is just fine.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
OMG, OK. So I assume they are OK with Cory Cats. I don't want too many shrimp in my tank but I guess it is good to know I can have that much. I might go 3 in my 29G and 2 in my 16G.

thanks so much!

EDIT Also I assume I won't need to quarantine them. I mean, I don't even know what to look for in a diseased shrimp or how to treat them if they were bad.

·
Banned
2,012 Posts
i dont think you need to quarantine them since invertebrate diseases are different from fish diseases. They are ok with cory cats

·
Registered
2,866 Posts
The quantity is really only what the tank will accomodate. I have seen 150 Cherry red shrimp in a 25 gallon and it was pristine.

As for the fish, that is a different story. The angel will love you as it will eat them if it can catch them and if the cories decide they like shrimp, they will eat them also. The sAE may also eat them once it gets a little larger.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Man, I didn't want to get the shrimp for fish food. I was thinking to keep them as tank mates to clean up the poopy stuff at the bottom.

I wonder how fish can even eat a shrimp, aren't their shells and legs really hard. I would think they could puncture their stomach.

I guess I could get a bunch and see how it goes.

Thanks for the help!

·
Banned
2,012 Posts
well a tiny shrimp leg againts a fish almost ten times its size doesnt really stand a chance. I think there are some acids in the stomach that help out but im no biologist

1 - 11 of 11 Posts