Tropical Fish Keeping banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Banned
2,012 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
One of my 4 ghost shrimp didnt survive its first molt and is dead while all the other ones are considerably bigger, any tips on helping them survive there molts?

·
Registered
13,248 Posts
What are your water parameters? I am guessing your fish tried to nibble the shrimp?:squint: During molting phase, shrimps tend to become very vulnerable as their bodies are soft and tender.

·
Registered
370 Posts
More hiding places for the molting shrimp will help...preferably hiding places only big enough for the shrimp as opposed to a cave that can hold fish.

·
Banned
2,012 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i have good water params :D

Ammonia = 0
nitrite = 0
nitrate = <10ppm
temp = 74

i do two 25% water changes weekly. Ive heard about iodine in freshwater but im not sure if this stuff is true, should i put in iodine?

·
Banned
2,012 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i have some java moss that my shrimp go to a lot, and i have some caves that only my shrimp can fit in, but my fish are crazy when it comes to food any will do anything to get at it.

·
Registered
13,248 Posts
musho3210 said:
I heard about iodine in freshwater but im not sure if this stuff is true, should i put in iodine?
There is iodine but in small concentrations. Iodine is still very important as it prevents goiter but I see no reason for you to add iodine in the tank.:question:

·
Registered
490 Posts
One my ghost shrimp also didn't survive it's first molt! Yesterday I found the exoskeleton, and the shrimp was hiding in a plant. This morning I found the shrimp under one the clay pots I have set up for them. I know this may sound sort of dumb, but keep in mind I'm new at this, but I'm assuming he's dead. He's a pink color (like a cooked shrimp would be) not moving at all, and is laying on his side. My water is good (amm 0, nitrite 0, nitrate <5) temp is never above 70 since there is no heater.

I've also heard about adding iodine. A LFS said they put a very small amount of dissolved iodized table salt in all of their aquariums and suggested I use 1/16 of a teaspoon for my 3 gallon (which I actually did when the nitrites peaked during cycling because I panicked).

It's a mystery to me why he died right after molting. He seemed perfectly healthy until 2 days ago. I've only had him 5 days, so this is such a bummer.

·
Registered
370 Posts
It just happens sometimes...they are the most vulnerable after molting and sometimes they die. Either fish pick at em or other shrimp in the tank do..especially if they other shrimp arent finding more to eat. I wouldn't be very concerned unless this happened to ALL of your shrimp. Let's face it...ghost shrimp are generally sold very cheaply as feeders and much like any other feeder they arent kept at peak health. I've always expected to lose a certain number of any batch I pick up and you should as well.

·
Registered
490 Posts
Good to know, but sad for my kids to see this happen! :( I have to say the LFS that I found is really great. They are bunch of dedicated guys to the point that even the feeders there are kept under great conditions! They have the shrimp in planted tanks and I'm wondering if the change had anything to do with it... Do you know are they also best kept in pairs? I know too many isn't good, but is two better than one? I tend to feel that nothing wants to be completely isolated since that is not how it would be in nature. But then again I only have one snail. :?

I can't help but think that if something dies it's somehow something I did!

·
Registered
370 Posts
The change can definitely affect them depending on how drastic the difference is in the water parameters, I've lost a few moving them between tanks that had different water parameters. I'm not sure on the pairs thing. I've kept them solo with bettas but on the other hand I have somewhere between 10 and 20 of em in my 37 gallon tank...and all the females are carrying eggs so I very well may end up with more.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Matt your 10gal in particular is already overstocked especially considering the type of filtration you use. I'm going to have to strongly reccomend that you refrain from adding anything else to that tank.

·
Registered
606 Posts
FDStation152 said:
Matt your 10gal in particular is already overstocked especially considering the type of filtration you use. I'm going to have to strongly reccomend that you refrain from adding anything else to that tank.
What do u mean by the filtration I use?
I Have 2 in tank Filters and 1 undergravel filter as of 2 days ago!

·
Registered
370 Posts
Added more eh? Well thats a start but you are seriously in need of more room for your fish. I'm not the first one who's told you this. And those in tank filters don't work very well IMO. The money you spent aquiring the additional filtration would have been better spent buying another 10gal to house the fish.

·
Banned
2,012 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
with that new filtration, your still over stocked due to area (the more cramped the more territorial) and the bio-load might just be at the limit, do not get more fish, even if you add a wet dry sump to that tank, you wouldnt be able to fit more fish. Plus your newt or possibly another fish would eat them.

·
Registered
606 Posts
FDStation152 said:
Added more eh? Well thats a start but you are seriously in need of more room for your fish. I'm not the first one who's told you this. And those in tank filters don't work very well IMO. The money you spent aquiring the additional filtration would have been better spent buying another 10gal to house the fish.
I cant get another tank yet.
anyways, this isnt my post. lets get back on subject.

·
Banned
2,012 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
yes, we were just answering your question you made on "my" post lol, its ok i forgive yuo since it was a logical question, anyway about molting, what are ways to increase the chance of survivial?

·
Registered
370 Posts
lots of places to hide is the best I've been able to do with it. There is a small hole that runs up the length of the driftwood in my tank. The fish never go in there and presumably thats where my shrimp go to molt.

·
Banned
2,012 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
im going to try and make my opening to my coconut cave smaller so only my shrimp will go in there, i just hope the rams dont dig it in and cause a cave in...

1 - 20 of 24 Posts